Daniel Rocha <danieldi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, I personally do not see WL theory as something that would require
> much more than an undergraduate level . . .

Well, I took undergraduate level physics, albeit in 1975. A mid-level
course at Cornell. I got A's. But we never touched on anything as esoteric
as this.

Maybe you mean an undergraduate degree in science or engineering. Krivit
does not have that, and it is not something you pick up casually in
mid-life, like a degree in literature perhaps.

I am not saying that Krivit could not possibly have any idea what the
theory is about. What I mean is that he could not write a paper comparing
and contrasting it to other major theories such as Hagelstein's, at a level
that would persuade an expert that Krivit is right that this theory is
probably the best one around. I have read most of Krivit's serious work. It
is pretty good. But nothing remotely as technical as this. It couldn't be,
because I understand it easily.

Krivit has pointed out some reasons why the theory might be good. These
advantages are obvious to me, or to anyone who reads the W-L abstracts.
That does not mean the theory is right. It just means W-L know enough about
cold fusion experimental evidence that they know what needs to be
explained. They know it does not produce many neutrons, for example.

> I believe Mizuno said he cannot  understand  simply because the theories
> presented  so far really do not make  sense.

Perhaps that is the case. I cannot tell if the theories make sense or not.
I do not think he can either. It is clear to me that most theories make no
useful predictions and are not guides to fruitful research. People have not
made progress by depending on theories. They might in the future. That will
be a good sign the theory is valid. It will be proof of that. Sometimes a
theory can be a good guide even though it is flawed.

> But he is being  polite  and not saying they do  not making sense...

I think he meant only that he could not understand.

Based on previous breakthroughs such as fission reactors, transistors and
DNA, I have a hunch that that a valid theory to explain cold fusion will
seem simpler and more obvious than the ones we have now. I expect it will
have broad implications that explain other phenomena now thought to be
unrelated. As I said, that was Watson said about his own discovery of DNA.
I could be wrong. The answer might be convoluted and beyond the
understanding of most people -- including me.