I knew a pathological liar when I was younger, she was one of the smartest
people I have ever met, but would lie to no benefit other than to make
herself look better or garner sympathy from the bad things she said had
happened to her.  I didn't realise it at first, thinking she had had a lot
of bad luck, but after knowing her for a year I realised that while
the individual anecdotes and stories were believable, when examined closely
there were a lot of inconsistencies, and taken together as having all
happened to the same person it was unbelievable - just an intricate web of
exaggerations and lies.  She also had a history of moving towns ditching
old friends and making new ones every few years in order to (I now surmise)
cover her tracks.   Before I had had enough on those times I did call her
out on it she would never admit to anything, but always go on attack or
come up with some new story to cover herself.

Sound familiar?

I think that Rossi is getting to the point where he has embellished
statements and claims so much over the last 12 months that he can no longer
keep them all straight in his head.  The internet has a long memory, and he
is having to backtrack to get out of the worst of the contradictions and
exaggerations that he has created (I think blaming translation issues is
disingenuous at best).  The stories, promises and claims are getting bigger
to distract from the earlier mis-steps, even while he fails to deliver any
tangible progress.  This is unfortunate because he is having to devote so
much time to covering up the holes in his stories (and quite possibly his
investor's concerns) that I think it is now costing him any chance of
progressing the technology.

I think it likely that Rossi has made an important breakthrough, though my
feeling is that he has exaggerated some measure of performance greatly (be
it gain, power output, duration of run, no radiation or some combination of
these).  He may have even fooled himself with his steam based calorimetry
and found that he wasn't producing the power he thought he was.  His
failure to demonstrate successfully to the several hard-nosed scientific
observer teams that he has tried to establish commercial links with
(Defkalion, US group) in August-September is pretty telling and I think he
is now trapped by the story he has told to the point that he feels that he
cannot reveal the true situation without totally destroying his
credibility, he instead trying to buy time to fix whatever problem he has.

I hoped for better from Defkalion, though I have growing doubts about them
too now.  They claim a 5kW reactor Ø40mmx100mm, and at a temperature of
400°C if exposed to the air it would only radiate and convect a few hundred
watts.  But their press release states that they intend to "isolate" it for
the coming tests (I think they mean insulate) and are not using liquid
cooling but may blow air though it to cool it, so power output is likely to
be limited to 10's-100's of Watts.  It would be very easy to implement
crude air flow calorimetry (<$100 and perhaps 1 hour of work to cover the
reactor with a plastic sheet, blow air through and measure the temperature
rise and flow rate with a cheap thermometer and anemometer).  So what is
going on? Why are they "isolating" the reactor?  Are they trying to hide a
performance short-fall too?

It is getting very frustrating.  We have reports from Brillouin, Arata,
Miley, Ahern, Celani, Piantelli, Focardi et al of pretty substantial
outputs and gains.  And we hope for much better from Rossi and Defkalion,
but even if there are flaws or performance short-falls, knowing exactly
what the performance is would give the world more chance to assess,
experiment, understand and improve upon what has been achieved.