Considering the never-ending conundrum of whether we are alone I came up
with the following 500 word short story. I submitted it to a local science
fiction community for a writing contest. While the story didn't win any
prizes it was one of the finalists.

I suspect Stephen Hawking might find aspects amusing... or not. ;-)

Enjoy!

THE SOURCE

Were we alone? Surely that wasn't the case. But no one had ever answered our
calls. When we finally mastered interstellar space travel we felt it was
time to find out if that was truly the case.

We soon discovered life existed outside the nurturing confines of our home
system. Not only that, life was sprinkled everywhere, generously so. Then
came the surprise. DNA, appeared to be the only blueprint used to build life
throughout the universe. Even more astonishing was the fact that DNA samples
taken from all our travels revealed that life seemed to have originated from
a singular genetic source, origins unknown, including our own. Externally,
life everywhere looked different, but underneath tissue, hide, hair, scales,
and feathers, we were all related. How could evolution throughout the galaxy
have spawned such incredible genetic uniformity? We obviously don't know how
evolution really works; that's how we consoled ourselves.

We eventually discovered advanced civilizations, some having even achieved
space travel. They could have visited us long ago had they chosen to travel
our way. Why hadn't they visited us? Clearly they must have been aware of
our presence, our radio broadcasts. We had to know.

We chose a candidate; a civilization we had repeatedly transmitted greetings
to in the past. We dispatched our finest emissary ship and entered their
solar system as non-threateningly as we could, all the while continuously
broadcasting our peaceful intentions. We settled our ship as delicately as
we could, close to a metropolis, next to what appeared to be a hastily
gathered assemblage of officials - witnesses to the historic event. The
ship's hatch opened. Dignitaries and ambassadors filed out one-by-one. Our
greeters shuffled nervously, all the while remaining quiet. Eventually we
broke the silence. We extended warm greetings, wishing them peace and
prosperity. Finally, we asked them "Why haven't you answered our calls? We
wish you no harm."

"Leave, immediately!" was their answer. It was too late for us, they added.
They demanded we cease all further communication, especially anything that
could give away their position. And then they scurried back to the safety of
their city, leaving us standing alone.

We raced home, entering our system just in time to witness the armada
assembling. Like a swarm of hungry hornets, black needles kilometers in
length fired deadly energy beams that screamed through our home world's
atmosphere, slicing through continents and oceans as if cutting through soft
butter. The tiniest bacterium to the largest leviathans in our oceans,
everything was sucked into vast geostationary interstellar refineries parked
above. Molecular structures evolved over eons were unraveled, then
recombined into new matrices more suitable to the nutritional requirements
of an unknown consumer.

After the armada's storage facilities were filled they sterilized our
ravaged planet with bursts of deadly gamma radiation. The surface was then
reseeded with a single bacterium possessing a unique genetic strain, a
hauntingly familiar source.

And then they left, content to let evolution once again grow to fruition.

We discovered we were alone.

C 2012 Steven Vincent Johnson

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson