One thing this tells me is that there is not much room left at the bottom, pace Feynman. That is to say, we are already reaching the limits. IBM has made a single-atom transistor and a 12-atom magnetic memory:

http://www.dailytech.com/Scientists+Cook+Up+1Atom+Transistor+12Atom+Magnetic+Storage/article24038.htm

Present day memories are about 1 million atoms per bit. I suppose they might get down to 1,000 atoms, but that's only 3 orders of magnitude, which is nothing compared to the improvements in storage we have seen since Feynman gave his talk in 1959, "There is Plenty of Room at the Bottom."

A hydrogen atom is 10E-10. I assume that is the smallest device we can ever make. A neutrino is 10E-22, and there is nothing below that, all the way down to the Planck length, 10E-35. It is not all that far down to the bottom.

We might still improve computer storage by huge amounts using 3-dimensional storage.

In the distant future, perhaps supercomputers will be the size of small planets after all, as predicted by Asimov. Imagine an MPP computer thousands of kilometers across packed with circuits and memory bits each the size of a few thousand atoms. Knowing people as I do, I suppose such a thing will be used to develop weapons.

- Jed

Reply via email to