Hi,
[snip]
>We might still improve computer storage by huge amounts using
>3-dimensional storage.

My theory is that the crystal skulls are such 3D holographic recordings. The
immense power that they are purported to represent results from the knowledge
contained therein. I suspect that they can be "read" using lasers shone either
into the base, or into the eyes. They are said to contain prisms, which would
make sense in this scenario.
Furthermore, the shape of a skull also makes sense because the human head is
where we store knowledge. It should remain a valid symbol for information
storage through the ages. Furthermore, our brains receive most information
through our eyes, which also contain lenses, so it would make sense for the eyes
in the crystal skulls to be lenses used to focus the laser beams appropriately.

Slight differences between the two beams (phase, frequency?) might be used to
select which "memory" is retrieved.

I suspect that each skull represents either a different field of study or,
perhaps more likely, the knowledge of an entire civilization.

Information stored in this form would be extremely durable, as the actual
recording medium is well protected by the outer crystal layer.

This was either meant to be an enduring legacy that could only be used when a
civilization reached a certain degree of technological advancement (use of
lasers), or they were part of a museum exhibit. ;)

Of course primitive cultures would have no understanding of technology, hence
the importance of the skulls simply resulted in legends of their "great power".

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk