I agree that it needs to be relatively safe if you are going to sell it, but
you don't need a theory to prove it is safe.  If he really has a device that
can produce power at commercial levels, I don't want to see time wasted on
explaining the theory of how the reaction works before he can sell it.  Just as
some others have said, we used fire for thousands of years before understanding
how it worked.