Jarold McWilliams <oldja...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I agree that it needs to be relatively safe if you are going to sell it,
> but you don't need a theory to prove it is safe.

I expect a theory would improve both safety and performance, and help lower
costs.

>  If he really has a device that can produce power at commercial levels, I
> don't want to see time wasted on explaining the theory of how the reaction
> works before he can sell it.

The time would not be wasted. We need to exhaustive testing anyway. The
efforts should be made by thousands of people in parallel so that they do
not take much time. This will speed up the introduction of the technology
in a wide range of applications. In the end, it is faster and cheaper to do
intense R&D first, rather than after you introduce the product.

>  Just as some others have said, we used fire for thousands of years before
> understanding how it worked.

That is an interesting comparison. Let's look a little closer. In the last
30 years, woodstoves have improved in safety, efficiency and pollution
control. They were invented by Franklin, but they are still being improved.

Even though fire is our oldest technology, every form of combustion
technology is still being improved, at a cost of hundreds of millions of
dollars, perhaps billions. Every dollar is well spent, since the
improvements save fuel and improve safety. Gas-fired house furnaces are
much safer, quieter and better than they were in the 1980s. Some do not
even need a chimney; you can exhaust the gas around 10 feet off the ground
safely, since it has no CO in it.

Internal combustion engines are the most widely used technology on earth,
but they are still being improved.

These improvement could not be made without deep knowledge of combustion,
chemistry, materials and related subjects.

In the past, people put up with unsafe products to an extent we would find
unthinkable today. Until the 1870s, steam engine boilers often exploded.
This was easily prevented. The ASME and the Congress put in place
regulations and inspections, and the accident rate fell overnight. Up until
the 1960s, automobiles had dozens of egregious safety problems. Many were
fixed at no cost, or in ways that actually saved money in construction and
materials. For example the 1950s style "fins" and other protrusions were
eliminated. Those fins used to gore people in accidents. They served no
purpose other than decoration. Dashboards and steering wheels were made of
hard material. Padding them cost nothing. Seat belts were installed. They
are by far the most effective way of reducing injury and death in accidents.

>From the 1920s until around 1970, cars killed roughly 1.2 million people.
(I think that is the number, but it could be higher.) Far more than all of
wars in U.S. history. A large fraction of those deaths could have been
eliminated with common-sense measures such as padded dashboards and
seatbelts. The death rate per mile has plummeted since the 1960s. The
actual absolute number of people killed in many states has fallen to levels
not seen since the 1920s.

My point is, we are not living in 1870, or 1960. People will not put up
with innovative new technology that is half-baked and dangerous. We have to
do all of the R&D anyway. It makes more sense to spend the money and do the
work *before* the product is introduced. That will save thousands of lives
and billions of dollars that would be wasted on third-rate, short-lived
technology. We can learn from history. We do not have to kill and maim
people and waste money the way our ancestors did. We can set a higher
standard. Our society is much wealthier and better educated. We have
computers. We have thousands of capable engineers and scientists in
laboratories equipped with instruments that seem miraculous by the
standards of the 1970s. Why not take advantage of this marvelous stuff to
do the job right? Why not use the best people, the best instruments, and
the best capabilities of the 21st century? This is the most important
breakthrough in the history of technology. It is worth trillions of dollars.

In my opinion Rossi's problem is not that he is too ambitious. He is not
thinking too big, except in the scale of the 1 MW reactor. He is thinking
much too small! He is doing things on a garage-scale start-up manufacturing
venture. As someone here remarked, it is as if he has developed a better
formula for windshield washing fluid, and he stocking a small warehouse in
Florida with cartons of the stuff. What we need is a venture on the scale
of the Normandy Invasion. We could have that -- easily -- if Rossi or
Defkalion would only act in their own best interests, and reveal the
technology in a way that will ensure their own future profits, instead of
farting around with penny-ante ventures.