Mark,

To be a bit contrarian: this looks like bad science to me.

I think it is part assumption error, and part a relic of cavity
super-radiant emission (Dicke-Preparata) by nanotubes, which emission is
partially focused on a good blackbody emitter. If fact most of the effect
could be measurement error due to the way the nanotubes are laid down - with
a preferential vector for emission (the open end of the tubes) combined with
the lack of appreciation for the known nanotube anomaly with Kirchoff laws.

In fact most of the error probably derives from the assumption that
temperature measurement of the carbon side would be a blackbody spectra,
when it is well known that Kirchoff's laws are not only violated by nanotube
emission, but almost irrelevant. Plus cavity radiation - if a preferred
vector is provided, can transmit photonic radiation as if it were
semi-coherent (super-radiant).

Since the authors never mention Dicke, or super-radiance, or cavity
blackbody emission, or the known violation of Kirchoff (at least in the PR
blip) this seems more like poorly done research and a premature announcement
of what is already known - than good science.

From: Mark Iverson

FYI:

http://phys.org/news/2012-04-carbon-nanotubes-weird-world-remote.html

"This is a new phenomenon we're observing, exclusively at the nanoscale, and
it is completely contrary to our intuition and knowledge of Joule heating at
larger scales-for example, in things like your toaster," says first author
Kamal Baloch,