The experiments used DC current, which is why the 'remote' heating was
unexpected.

-m

From: David Roberson [mailto:dlrober...@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:39 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Remote Joule heating in Carbon nanotubes

Inductive heating usually requires a time changing current in order to heat
the nearby conductor.  Maybe the current in this case is more like a series
of quantum pulses which might have the time varying property required.  A
great deal of the effect would depend upon the relative magnitude of the
current and thus the flow characteristics of electrons within.

I assumed that the basic experiment consists of a DC current instead of AC.
AC current could certainly be used to generate inductive heating.

The thought occurred to me that the uncertainty principle might allow a
portion of the electron current to flow within the nearby conductors
effectively bypassing the nanotube.  If this theory is correct then the
effective size of the electrons must be such that they extend outside of the
tube.

Dave