If you remember our discussions on degenerate electrons in the thread:

*New physical attraction between ions in quantum plasmas*

Centered around the paper

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1112.5556.pdf

with the  title:

*Novel Attractive Force between Ions in Quantum Plasmas*

Electrons can be placed in a degenerate state by the Pauli Exclusion
Principle having been forced into a condition of overabundance where the
excess number of electrons cannot find a ground state to reenter therein.

This situation has been shown to generate a new attractive force between
ions that are shielded by these degenerate electrons in quantum plasmas.

The underlying cause is the reversal of charge repulsion. This mechanism
could be based on a superconductive like restriction of electron flow into
a one dimensional direction regime. Here, the electron can either flow in a
backward or forward direction caused by unique topologic constructions in
the cold plasma possibly due to the formation of some exotic forms of
hydrogen crystallization.

This type of one dimensional electron flow may cause electron
fractionalization as is suspected to happen in superconductivity where
charge can accumulate as a fractionalization phenomenon irrespective of the
location of the associated electrons.

The charge fraction of the electron may aggregate to form a hard core
negative part that serves to shield the positive charge of the ions.

Regards: Axil