It is not hard to envision the complex waiting procedure shown below with the
knowledge that we posses today.  Things would have been far different for the
decision makers at the time since no one actually believed that the mission
would degrade as it did.  Actually, we could move the decision point further
back in time all the way to the basic design decisions that were made at the
beginning of the project.  Now, not like then, most engineers would realize
that falling foam damage might cause failure to the craft and it will never
show up again in future designs.  This is the nature of unknowns and they
always exist.

Can you imagine the uproar that would have occurred had a group of engineers
come forward and told their managers about their concern at the time?  Remember
the famous O-ring meetings?  I suspect that operating upon issues that 'might'
happen is routinely suppressed.  It is difficult to imagine any scenario
involving a complex craft such as the shuttle that is 100% safe under any and
all conditions which might arise.  We can certainly argue that the loss of
tiles in a critical area falls under the category of major concern, but plenty
of other faults could end a mission as well.  Unfortunately danger is always a
part of life.

It is not possible to go back in time(at least not yet) to follow an alternate
path which averts destruction.  How could we be sure that the other possible
plans do not have serious misconceptions lurking within them?  I am afraid that
we are bound by the decisions made by those in authority.  There will always be
errors in judgement and designs will need to be modified to compensate.

Dave