I agree with what you say here Jed.  I am mainly attempting to put into words 
the concept that safety is a relative issue.  You could be considered safe if 
you survive the ordeal and in this case I would assume that the decision makers 
would not have proceeded with the landing of the shuttle had they known for a 
fact that it would destruct.  That would have been a criminal act.

They apparently did not wish to see additional evidence that a delay would have 
been wise.  How much damage could a shuttle sustain and not fail?  I suspect 
that the answer to that question is complex and the final decision makers were 
overconfident in the design.  It became a fatal and terrible mistake that none 
would have chosen to make.

Perhaps there were numerous issues that had to be brushed under the rug if any 
flights were to proceed at all.

Dave



-----Original Message-----
From: Jed Rothwell <[email protected]>
To: vortex-l <[email protected]>
Sent: Sun, May 27, 2012 5:08 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Critique of Space Shuttle written in 1980


I mean that when they finally did the test, the was that SIZE. Big enough to 
put your head into. The resolution of the spy sat. cameras is not known, and 
the size of the hole is not known, but it was probably large enough to spot 
easily.


Unfortunately, this Shuttle did not have an arm. If it had they might have 
checked with that. Although I expect the managers would not have allowed even 
that check. They were determined not to allow any bad news, and not to allow 
anyone below them to make any decisions that might reflect badly on NASA.


These events were well documented in an extensive investigation, but they did 
not trigger an "uproar." They triggered intense and largely successful efforts 
to cover up the facts and whitewash the truth. The same thing happened after 
the Three Mile Island disaster. An NRL engineer who warned that the valve had 
malfunctioned twice and it was likely to happen again with disastrous 
consequences was forced out. The managers who had ignored his recommendation 
and later ordered him to shut up were given large cash bonuses and promotions.


That is the way the world works. If cold fusion ever succeeds I am confident 
that the establishment people who opposed it will take credit for its success. 
They will be promoted, rewarded and lionized. The people who worked to bring it 
about -- including me -- will be given "the frozen boot," as the Russians say. 
No good deed goes unpunished. That is the way the world works now, and always 
has, and probably always will.


- Jed



Reply via email to