At 09:54 AM 6/7/2012, Peter Gluck wrote:
Dear Friends,

I am very pleased that I have found a partner for discussion
the essence of LENR, therefore see please:

<http://egooutpeters.blogspot.ro/2012/06/reliability-discussion-continues.html>http://egooutpeters.blogspot.ro/2012/06/reliability-discussion-continues.html

I hope that soon we will have the opportunity to excahnge opinions
and ideas about some paradigm changing events, not only history.
For now the focus is on the question how can be used the scientific
data if they are not reliable. (reproducible) Being an engineer I have limited
understanding of that.

Briefly, if the outcome of an individual test is variable, nevertheless the outcome of many tests can be analyzed statistically, and this can be done to demonstrate the reality of a physical effect just as it can be done to demonstrate the efficacy of a medicine.

As a practical example from electronics engineering, it has happened that processes for producing complex integrated circuits have been quite unreliable, but nevertheless adequate where the working devices can be culled from those that do not work. If it were true that a cold fusion device was unreliable, i.e., that its heat output could not be predicted, except within certain outlines, it could remain possible that a collection of a large number of such devices might be reliable, overall. But we can certainly hope for improved reliability with improved understanding.

Dr. Gluck, if your theory about contamination being behind CF cell unreliability is true, then ways might be found to control the contamination.

I happen to think that, while there may be some effect from contamination, the problem is rather one of solid-state engineering; it's quite likely that either Storms' crack theory is correct, or that some similar phenomenon is taking place that, so far, remains very difficult to control with the gross techniques being applied. Following Storms' theory, and applying it to what we know reasonably well, the behavior of PdD electrochemical cells, cracks grow in PdD with repeated loading and deloading, which stresses the lattice. We may suspect that a *particular* size of crack sets up a condition that allows or creates fusion conditions, which might be according to any of a number of possible proposed mechanisms. Storms is theorizing electron catalysis in a particular manner which I don't find plausible, and Takahashi and Kim suggest mechanisms involving the formation of a Bose-Einstein Condensate, which Storms thinks implausible for some rather obvious -- and possibly false -- reasons.

But we don't know the mechanism. Storms is on pretty solid ground with general suggestion that normal lattice does not support the reaction. That cathodes which show no effect, then show the effect, then don't show the effect, with all observed conditions remaining the same, *except nanostructure, which is shifting,* we can expect, leads almost inexorably to the nanostructure theory of the Nuclear Active Environment being controlling. An alternate hypothesis of contamination (i.e., trace or impurities) remains on the table, but seems unlikely, given the variety of reports.

It is possible that the unreliability is intrinsic, but I consider that unlikely unless we are limited to electrochemical cold fusion. The electrochemical approach remains useful as an investigative tool. At least it works! (And, as I mentioned, the unreliability is a nuisance but not an intrinsic obstacle, particularly once correlated effects are sought and found.)

And now, a detailed (and necessarily long) response to Dr. Gluck's blog post.

Thursday, June 7, 2012
 RELIABILITY -THE DISCUSSION CONTINUES.

I hope this discussion will continue because it is constructive, calm, empathy laden and I can learn a lot of it. It seems both Abd and I have the rare ability to not be angry with people who have other opinions than ours. If it could be created a vaccine for this virtue!

The nearest thing I know to that would be the Landmark Forum. ( http://landmarkeducation.com )

(BTW during my 8.5 years of journalism-writing the INFO KAPPA Newsletter I have stated that the most aggressive, trolls, Forum Monsters are not the extremists, not soccer team fans but the anti-vaccine activists- at an unbelievable intensity.

Well, people do get stuck on ideas. Doesn't mean they are wrong, by the way. "Stuck" and "right" are not correlated. They exist in different realms.

Dear Abd, I am very grateful for this opportunity. It is very difficult to discuss on our Forums about essential problems- due to the epidemics/endemics of Detailitis.
 Our discussion will not lead probably to agreement but let's try

I could disagree on the probability, or I could agree on trying, i.e., on communicating openly and frankly. In fact, both. So do we agree or do we disagree?

to generate some Important Questions is more useful for the future development of the field.

Agreed.

I don't see that we are far from agreement, but maybe Peter sees something I don't.

Actually it is mainly about the role of reliability in Science and in Engineering. I am simply not able to believe that:
"We do not need reliability for Science.* It is desirable, that's all.
 "Improvement in reliability is desirable, but not necessary." (Quoting you)
Please support this with examples of valuable unreliable scientific results that have generated valuable science. Or, unreliable products or processes made by engineering that are used. People need almost-certainty and safety. But please give priority to Science, I cannot find an example similar to LENR in the sciences of matter or energy- not psychology or sociology where too many things are possible.

The example that comes to mind first, for me, is medicine. A medicine may not successfully treat a disorder in all cases. Yet by controlled research, we may find that it is helpful in enough cases to be useful. Cold fusion, particularly in electrochemical cells, is a complex phenomenon, and the necessary conditions are poorly understood and apparently chaotic. Nevertheless, we can study the Fleischmann-Pons Heat Effect (in PdD) and can measure helium in the evolved gases, or we can even go deeper and do a comprehensive analysis of cell contents. Either way, from what's been done, the helium found is highly correlated with the anomalous heat generated.

It is not necessary for this that the generation of heat may be reliable, all that is necessary is that a significant number of cells, where this experiment is done, do show the FPHE. The number that I have for cells showing the FPHE in the original work is one out of six. Suppose that 60 cells are run, and 10 show anomalous heat above noise. Suppose that, for all 60 cells, helium is measured, and helium is above background levels for 10 cells. And all ten of these showed anomalous heat, and none of the cells with no anomalous heat showed helium. This is really enough, but suppose that, as well, the more anomalous heat found, the more helium is found, within experimental error. If the study is comprehensive (which might require taking steps like dissolving the cathode or melting it to drive off all retained helium), suppose that the ratio of heat to helium corresponds to 25 +/- 5 MeV/He-4.

(That value is what Storms estimates from the extant studies. I consider the estimate quite rough, as is obvious. Much more work could be done, that's part of what I want to encourage.)

That result would be conclusive that the heat is nuclear in origin. It would create a high probability that the nuclear reaction involved is some kind of fusion that takes deuterium and converts it to helium. It is not necessarily "d-d fusion." There are other possibilities.

Obviously, though, such an experiment would not establish any kind of practical possibility. That's what I mean by distinguishing the science from the engineering of energy generation. We don't need reliability to extend our scientific knowledge (at least not reliability in the sense of each experiment producing specifically predictable results, specific values of energy -- and we don't necessarily need great reliability with our measurement methods. Properly done, the experiment I mentioned would adequately establish the reliability of the calorimetry and the helium measurement!)

This is the power of correlated results. A lot of cold fusion work has neglected this. An experiment is done that, say, finds tritium in an electrochemical cell. Heat is not even reported, nor is helium. No relationship is shown in the experimental series between, say, loading ratio, H/D ratio, current density, or even total electrolysis energy. It is considered enough that tritium is reported, yet this provides us no clue as to the cause.

As an example I came across, consider Oriani's work with measuring radiation in NiH electrolysis cells. His findings are interesting, but, in fact, establish almost nothing except that he saw some odd effects. They were not correlated with input current. Some of the experimental cells, it seems, had levels of radiation found (i.e, CR-39 tracks) that were less than with some of the control cells. The controls were not single-variable controls, matching the experimental series. The report claimed a "repeatable" effect, but the report didn't show that, it simply showed that *some kind of anomaly* could be found with every cell (or most cells?).

Because of poor control, it's not surprising that Kowalski's replication project did little more than expand the data set a little. Kowalski correctly concluded that his results did not confirm a "reproducible experiment," but the experiment wasn't well-defined in the first place. It was not disciplined, Kowalski simply followed an electrolysis protocol, as I recall, that was within the Oriani history, looking for repeatable results. What results? The existence of an anomaly, an unexplained effect, is not enough to establish much of anything. Oriani's original work was weak, it may not havbe been the best candidate for a replication project.

(But that Kowalski even attempted this is commendable, and his attempt to replication the SPAWAR charged-particle radiation results, as part of the Galileo project, was also commendable. It's too bad that military secrecy prevented disclosure, at that point, of the SPAWAR neutron results, which could have been much more interesting! Wet CR-39 is pretty much an intrinsic problem, at least on the side of the CR-39 that is adjacent to the cathode. Scott Little showed fairly well that the cathode environment, up close and personal, can damage CR-39. The back side CR-39 results are practically guaranteed to come from neutrons, through proton knock-on, entirely aside from those beautiful triple-tracks.)

See, we don't know very well what happens if we take some CR-39 chips and expose them for a time in the gases of a *normal* electrolysis cell. If tracks show, we don't know the origin of the tracks. That there is no dose-response shown is highly suspicious (this is standard with testing of medications, when there is no dose-response, artifact is suspected) -- i.e., in this case, no correlation between electrolysis current and radiation. Just take that to the extreme: no current. If the effect still exists, then electrolysis is not the cause. There's lots of radioactive stuff floating around, and some experiments might concentrate it. (Thus there might even be a variation of tracks with current, it doesn't necessarily show, by itself, some kind of nuclear activity other than through the presence of already-existing radionucleides.)

If we find tritium in the heavy water of a CF experiment, it does not itself, by itself, demonstrate that a nuclear process took place in the cell. There are a number of possible origins that would need to be ruled out by controls. However, completely aside from that, suppose that excess heat and tritium were correlated, in a particular series under identical conditions, as far as what could be controlled, such as H/D ratio in the heavy water. If they were, across a significant number of experiments, with no data selection (i.e., all members of the series are reported, treated identically, and are measured blind), that would show, with a probability that can be calculated, that the tritum and excess heat are both nuclear effects.

*A great deal can be discovered about an unreliable reaction.*

I'm a writer, so it's my business to be effectively communicative. I'm still learning, though.

You are a good writer and this is the reason a discussion with you is both pleasant and instructive.

Yes. Until you identified the cause, it was totally mysterious. Gremlins. Bad juju. Whatever.

I hope one day you will agree that this poisoning destroys the LENR experiment- re-read please Piantelli's patent WO 2010/058288

I have little doubt that the presence of some materials will poison the reaction. I don't see the point. Poisoning alone is unlikely to be a generic explanation for cold fusion variability. I can't absolutely rule it out, though.

Electrochemical PdD experiments are *extremely* complex. With gas-loading, the complexity may be reduced, but a great deal depends on the exact structure of the particles or Pd material. And it will change with loading and deloading.

I just want to add that adapting/scaling up an electrolysis cell to an energy source is an engineering nightmare.

Yes. Bad idea, mostly, unless no other approach can be verified. We use the approach only because it's known to produce results, sometimes even large results. If necessary, a way might be found to engineer this to create some practical application, but NiH is far more attractive. If it works.

Gas phase is kind of must, it seems Rossi and DGT are working at an active surface temperature of over 600 C.

Gas phase seems likely to be where pay dirt will be found. I'm not willing to base *anything* on the alleged work of Rossi and Defkalion. It's equivalent to rumor. And the big question is, as you know, reliability. If there is a big effect, but it is not reliable (or a way has not been found to engineer around certain kinds of unreliability), the basic problem has not been solved.

I'll believe it in that I consider it possible.

This is in reference to the concept of gas-poisoning of LENR.

Why not? However, I don't see this as explaining the difference between the first, second, and third current excursions in SRI P13/P14, which was a sealed cell. It's not impossible, though, because the first and second excursions, showing no heat, may have cleaned off the cathode.

One of my lab colleagues/friends at the Stable Isotopes Institute was working with high vacuum 10 exp -9 to 10 exp -11 mmHg and he has convinced me that the gases adhere unbelievably strongly to the metals.

Not surprised. However, it should still be possible to use uniform material, or to create it (as with deposition techniques).

When you and other colleagues will eventually believe in my poisoning idea, I will be already busy smelling the flowers from the side of the roots- send please a good thought to my memory then

Enjoy the smell. I'll hold that thought.

But why wait until we "believe"? Smell the flowers while you are alive, I highly recommend it.

What's to believe? You call it an "idea." Is it reduced to specific, testable hypotheses?

It was crucial to identify the reasons for such variability. The skeptics did not get the import of variability; they thought that it meant that the effect was down in the noise. However, that's what SRI P13/P14 showed so clearly: the effect, when it appears, is striking, not marginal. Of course, sometimes there is an effect close to the noise. But a strong, quite visible effect is one of the characteristics of a successful replication of the FPHE, not something questionable, where we look at a plot and say, "Well, see, it's a little bit above the noise there, for a few hours." Maybe. Or maybe that is just noise a little higher than usual.

Not exactly a good situation for a researcher who has to understand and solve the problem, isn't it? However poisoning, partial or complete is uncontrollable and can explain the variability.

My point was that this is quite a stretch in that experimental series. The hypothesis that the cause of the variability is the shifting nanostructure of the material is far simpler, and consistent with all the data on this class of cold fusion experiment. However, "shifting structure" could include shifts in the chemical composition of the surface layer of the cathode, that's why I say it cannot be completely ruled out.

To resolve this would require identifying the contaminant, then controlling it. Again, the investigation would likely involve running many cells, probably with multiple cathodes, and individual cathodes could be withdrawn and the surface analyzed. This much is helpful: the reaction almost certainly takes place at or very close to the surface.

I'll repeat: the kind of data we need to understand cold fusion is most likely to come from comprehensive study of the effect *as it is*. In this investigation, one our of six cells showing excess heat would be quite adequate! We don't need a "more reliable method," it is, as I've written over and over, merely desirable, not necessary. Finding -- and then confirming -- what conditions are associated with "dead cells" and not live ones, or vice-versa, will lead to the gold.

Ultimately, it appears, reality does play hide and seek, at the quantum level. But I don't think that's happening here. Regardless, reality is not "bad." Period. It's just reality. We make up good and bad. This is not you, but "scientists" who reject experimental data because they don't see repeatability in it are just fooling themselves. What they don't see means nothing. Saying "I don't understand this" is fine. Saying "you must have made a mistake," is the problem, unless the error can be identified. Not just guessed.

Unfortunately some aspects of reality are not good for us- cold, disasters, illness, old age- then reality is really bad sometimes. I know nature has no problems just solutions, but we have problems- the energy situation is one and any obstacle to a solution is bad.

You say so. "Bad" is not a condition that exists in reality. We make that up. And "obstacle" is also made up, out of a concept of a path to a solution. What might seem an obstacle for one path might be a stepping-stone on another.

See, my hobby is collecting proverbs, quotation aphorisms and in my opinion the most false and cruel one is one by John Ruskin: "there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather"

That is not truer than "bad weather," but it's probably more useful as an attitude!

I have arrived to this idea when once during the terrible winter of 1959/1960 I was trying to defreeze a pipe at the top of a very high distillation column with live steam coming through a rubber hose as you could seen in the Rossi experiments Just to mention-I accomplished the task nad did not get pneumonia..

And hopefully you did not get burned either.

Weather can be bad, reality is sometimes hostile, Murphy is a sadistic techno god.

Take Murphy and remove the story of "wrong": "If something can, it will." You made up "reality is sometimes hostile." I suspect this is an anthropomorphic projection. You think that reality is out to get us? "Hostile"?

We do have the term "hostile" as in "hostile conditions," which presumes a goal, it exists in relation to the goal, and the goal is made up. We could say, with equal truth (or the opposite) that "reality doesn't care if we live or die," or "reality exists to create life." Those are both stories, but they are likely to arouse different human responses. We imagine that there is some story that is "the truth," but the truth is not a story at all.

Since we make up stories, it's a quintissential human function, we, once we realize this, can make up stories that *function* to create what we seek. I'm not claiming some kind of magic, nor am I claiming that just any story will function this way. There are skillful stories and there are unskillful ones.

The story that "low-energy nuclear reactions are impossible" was a disempowering one, one that created blindness to observation and understanding, besides being obviously contradictory to experimental fact, beginning with muon-catalyzed fusion, a known LENR. That MCF is impractical because of the difficulty of generating muons is *irrelevant* as to scientific possibility. Just as CF unreliability, or the COP of CF experiments, was ultimately irrelevant as to the science and only relevant to the practicality issue. MCF is completely impractical for energy generation, which has nothing to do with the existence of the effect.

It's not as powerful, and it runs the risk of an enormous waste of time. Look, it was obvious from the beginning that there *might be* enormous promise from cold fusion. But it was also obvious, within a few months, that this was not going to be easy, at least not with the FP approach. Yet people had done stuff for a long time with no clear evidence of fusion, and casting about to find a new approach was probably not so wise, either, in the sense that it was likely to be obscure itself. The deepest error that Pons and Fleischmann made was in not disclosing how difficult it was, with the original announcement, and, if not there, with the original paper. For those convinced that LENR was real by the P&F results, and by other confirmation, including perhaps their own, pursuing more reliable approaches did make some sense. However, if these people were convinced it was real, and especially if they had success replicating P&F, they might consider the value of carefully studying what they already were able to make happen. Some did that, perhaps. Some did not.

What else could I say other that you are right? But it is a bit late. A long series of hopes and disillusions followed, the disillusions were the continuous phase but hope remained indestructible,

Late for what? Twenty years isn't a long time, in the larger scale of things. Yeah, twenty years of delay, perhaps, had a cost. But what now?

Okay, for the future, the story of cold fusion, what Huizenga called "the scientific fiasco of the century" -- and he only knew the half of it -- should be thoroughly explored and told, as an object lesson for the history of science. If there is some artifact or collection of artifacts behind cold fusion, why did it take more than twenty years to demonstrate it? (And it still has not been demonstrated.)

But if what is now passing peer review is actually worthy of that -- as I expect -- then why did it take twenty years for the tide to turn? After all, replications of the basic effect began well within a year, and continued to accumulate.

(And the conception that cold fusion was conclusively rejected twenty years ago is still common, an example of a widespread delusion held by scientists, especially, whom we might expect to know better. It can be argued that there are still grounds for skepticism, but the position that cold fusion was found to be artifact is *unsupportable.* The most that has ever been concluded was that the hypothesis of fusion was not proven. And even that would be very, very difficult to get past peer review now, in any journal worth its salt, so strong is the evidence.)

Not from that example!!! The correlation there is quite weak, and, if this is a real CF experimental series, I'd suspect that the heat is close to the noise. That is, from the expectation d -> He, we'd expect half as much heat with the first as with the second, but you have only the second showing heat. This is too short an experimental series to do more than provide an indication, and the indication here could be that one of the heat measurements is punk.

Thank you for the next examples given by you; they are the best ones possible, emphasis on 'possible'

Real example, one of the two or three best:
Miles' work. Miles did a set of CF experiments and controls. His full series as reported by Storms involved 33 helium samples taken and analyzed blind. These were samples of the cell gases. Miles had data on heat generation from these cells before the samples were taken. Multiple samples were taken from cells, I originally though this was 33 cells. Not. A weakness, but not a disaster. (Better if all cells had been treated equally, all cells were identical, etc. There were some differences, which actually weakens the result, i.e., included in the series was some cells where something quite different was going on, and that makes the work look *less* conclusive. But I won't go into that here.) Of the 33 cells, 12 were showing no anomalous heat, and no anomalous helium was detected. 18 showed heat, and, from them, helium was detected within an order of magnitude of the helium expected from d -> He-4. The more heat, the more helium, within experimental error. (The measurements were rough, unfortunately, only order-of-magnitude detection.) That leaves three cells. One experienced a power failure and deloading and calorimetry error was thus suspected, the other two were a cerium-palladium alloy. They showed heat, but no helium. What happened? We don't know. Nobody followed up, the classic story of cold fusion. Mysterious results, sitting in the record, with no follow-up. This is a strong correlation, even with those three anomalous results. Miles calculated one chance in 750,000 of this happening by chance. You could also look at the SRI Case replication, reported in the 2004 DoE review paper. It was poorly explained. When it's fully understood (I had to read other papers to get it), it shows this same phenomenon: no heat, no helium. Varying amounts of heat, varying amounts of helium. SRI also studied the time behavior of accumulated helium, and did one experiment where they attempted to recover all the helium (that's the hard part!), finding a ratio of heat/helium quite close to the theoretical value for d -> He-4.

It could be a very different situation with say, ten times more results of this kind.

It would be stronger and the Q-value, if the work were well performed, would be known much more tightly (if we assume it is constant; it might not be). It would not be a greatly different situation; that is, the correlation is reasonably established, and there is very little -- if any -- contrary evidence. Miles was criticized, but the criticism mostly ignored the real point, the correlation. It ended up being irrelevant.

It was largely reward-less because many researchers were not looking at the treasure they had in their hands, if they managed to occasionally see excess heat. They bought the idea that this was some kind of failure. No, it was success. It was indeed difficult to arrange a demonstration of the FPHE. However, it seems that those who persisted did find it. Indeed, it may have been most difficult for those who were lucky and found it quickly! -- because it then disappeared. I can imagine the agony. However, the gold was in investigating the conditions of appearance and disappearance.

A very complex situation, difficult to appreciate in retrospect.

I want to emphasize that I'm looking at this with the benefit of hindsight. Some of this could have been anticipated, however, at least in theory. If Pons and Fleischmann had sat down and considered the likely effect of their announcement, and the effect of their allowing it to appear that this was "fusion in a jam-jar," a simple experiment, they might possibly have forseen the problem and averted it. That oversight, together with their error regarding neutron radiation, made their work appear flawed, not reproducible, etc. It made an early and famous paper showing that the neutron radiation could not be above a certain (low) level seem to be a refutation of cold fusion, while we now recognize the almost-complete lack of neutron radiation as a characteristic of the FPHE.

In other words, the *basic effect* discovered by Pons and Fleischmann wasn't even touched by the neutron paper. The basic effect was a heat effect. They also reported tritium, helium, and neutrons, with only the neutron report actually being found to be artifact.

(Tritium has been reported by so many investigators that this is likely to be real, though it clearly is not a major product of the reaction, that's just about got to be helium, at least in PdD experiments.)

And if a practical application is possible, setting Rossi et al aside, it will very likely be from theory enabled by the presence of more data from what should have been done twenty years ago. The idea that it was necessary to get reliability permeated the field, and that was an error. Reliability would very likely follow from a successful theory. Or not.

A beautiful idea, but how does this go in practice? Or not, to cite you. In the 70-ies I had lead many research and development programs and one of our slogans was "one experiment is no experiment, one result is no result" we have always followed till we were convinced the method, process, step, whatever is repeatable, reproducible, reliable. We scaled up from lab to pilot plants and to industrial scale.

Yes. That's the way to do real science. One experiment can be valuable, to be sure, but it's only a start. An indication.

Make your blunders on a small scale and your profits on a great scale. And many times scale up is not a linear process
you can have surprises of any kind. It is an adventure.
I have to confess that I cannot understand exactly how a good theory can remove the reliability problem, but it is about my limited imagination here.

A complete theory will include explanation of the variability (which you call "the reliability problem"). Once we know how and why something is happening, the possibility of control can open up. Not necessarily, mind you. But it's probable.

You don't have to imagine the specifics, just recognize the possibility. I hope I have shown that the variability does not make investigation impossible -- and it can even facilitate it in some ways, as long as some minimal level of "success" is obtainable, through the power of correlation.

For example, if we can identify the exact NAE, as being, say, cracks of a *certain size*, we may then be able to engineer material with those precise structures, ab inito. We might be able, for example, to operate devices with those exact structures at lower D2 pressure and prevent the destruction of the structures by local overheating.

If some impurity is *necessary*, we may then supply that impurity, possibly even placed exactly where needed. If, in the other direction, as per your idea, some impurity poisons the reaction, we may be able to entirely exclude it from the cell environment.

And on and on. We won't know the specifics until we know, and, my guess, we are not likely to know until the basic experimental work is done, work that was only sporadically and incompletely done.

If the U.S. Department of Energy reports are merely followed, as to their actual recommendations, funding would be available. What those reports recommended against was a massive special federal program, and I have to agree with that recommendation, that's prudent *until the basic research is completed,* and then it might be advisable to go to a major program *if practical applications appear within reach.*

(That reports that actually recommended continued research were framed in the mind of the general scientific public as having conclusively rejected cold fusion is a really great example of how public opinion, even among reasonably knowledgeable scientists, diverged from simple fact. There are some credible claims that this was a deliberate manipulation, part of the design of the first D.O.E. review, but I'm happy to leave that to the historians.)

(With Rossi, if that's real, the investigation will follow and theory will be developed based on that. Rossi, in a sense, got lucky -- if this is real -- though he "got lucky" from what he says was a thousand variations he tried. Essentially, he explored the parameter space, trying lots of combinations. It can work. In fact, I'm suggesting something like that, only with systematic exploration, with special focus on answering extant experimental questions.)

With Rossi if real, a great question arises: what has he changed in LENR? What new dimension he has added to LENR? I think BTW that he has gone outside the parameter space. LENR+ has added new unexpected parameters to those of LENR. (It is a pity that I am not inerrant, we will have to wait if this is true or completely false.

Well, trying dopants or structural changes would be part of the obvious exploration of the parameter space. What Rossi did, if we take his story at its face value, is try a thousand combinations. That's the kind of work that could pay off. Whether or not he did this with maximum efficiency, I don't know. I'd think of making smaller cells and running many of them at a time. Smaller is also safer, by the way.

Rossi, though, is not a scientist and seems to have little appreciation of the scientific method. He has no concept, it seems, of the value of control experiments. As a result, it's entirely possible that his calorimetry is seriously out of whack, so much so that it's even possible that his "massive heat" is all the way down to no excess heat at all. At least in some of the public demonstrations.

His answer to a suggestion that he run control experiments, by someone friendly to his work, was that it would be a waste of time, since he already knows what will happen: nothing. A scientist would not think this way. A certain level of experimental controls would remain in place, and a control experiment is far more necessary for a demonstration, if we have input power involved.

What Rossi has added to LENR is massive confusion, as a result of his secrecy, demonstrations that failed to be conclusive when examined closely, and the problem is not only with Rossi. Kullander et al made major blunders in their analysis and reports.

None of this proves that Rossi doesn't have a real device. However, if Rossi has a real device, it's become quite clear that he does not care to allow this to be clearly known.

And then the rest of us waste time and energy speculating. No, at this point, it appears to me that Rossi may have actually damaged the field.

I worry about fraud, on the one hand (and there is a lot of nonsense out there on this possibility), but I also worry that he has a real effect but it isn't yet practical, which then explains the delay. And that delay could stretch out forever.

A scientist would not announce what is not established or known. And would properly include in reports the necessary data about reliability, there would not be a mystery.

Sometimes the situation is presented that "People are demanding that Rossi do this or that, but he is not obligated...." Which is true, i.e., he's not obligated, but I should make it clear that I'm not demanding that Rossi do anything. I'm just saying that the information has not been provided and demonstrations have not been arranged that would allow us to make firm conclusions about his work. It is, essentially, on the level of rumor, not much more than that.

Yes. "Wicked problem." Peter, you caught the disease, you looked at cold fusion with an eye that only saw value in high COP (which is very different from reliability, by the way, 10% excess power, reliably, would be spectacular *for the science*), and you compared a few thousands of what you called "sick cathodes" with heat less than 30% with "many thousands" of "dead cathodes\". 30% of input power, with the FPHE, is actually way above noise, more than adequate for systematic study. Pons and Fleischmann, as I recall, had a "dead cathode" rate of 5/6. The practical implication of this is that one must run many cathodes, and, from what I'm seeing (Letts is graciously allowing me to watch his work-in-progress), a "dead cathode" can become "live" by continued electrolysis, sometimes. So it's not the cathode that is dead, but the patience of the researcher.

Mea culpa, I have understood Cold Fusion as a future energy source not as a system for new scientific discoveries. However with 5 dead cathodes vs. 1 working one, it is difficult to be either.

So you run many more cathodes. *Many*. You got one working one. Great! That's one out of six, not bad. Were all these cathodes apparently identical, or did you keep changing conditions to try to make it work. You are aware, I presume, that all that variation may have been for nothing. But perhaps you did learn to run the experiment more successfully. So great. Run more cathodes as close to what you did with the successful one as you can.

And, my suggestion, scale down. As long as you don't get so small that calorimetry can't be sufficiently accurate to detect the effect.

But also look for correlated conditions or effects. Lots of the early work did not even attempt to measure loading ratio, and probably did not reach the necessary minimum for the FPHE. So measure loading ratio. Measure H/D ratio; heavy water absorbs moisture from the air, if exposed to it, so the H/D ratio will increase with time, and hydrogen is a known poison for the FPHE.

Helium is the obvious correlated effect to study, where possible. It takes access to mass spectrometry, which for most researchers will take finding someone cooperative, or will take money. Storms has two mass spectrometers in his lab, including one that is designed to discriminate between D2 and He-4. If you found helium only with the live cathode, that's an important result. My view is that all results should be published, by the way, even if only on-line. There is a fairly strong tendency to only publish results considered "important." If you look out there, you can easily find reports of positive results with no discloser of all the "failures" on the way, and that then leads to a cogent criticism, that results are being cherry-picked, which, when outcomes are variable, is a serious problem. You destroy the power of correlation by cherry-picking results!

Experimentally speaking some cathodes are hibernating and then suddenly without any visible cause or logical/correlational explanation start to work. Mystery!

Well, not really. There is an obvious, default "logical" explanation, that the nanostructure of the material has been altered, which for PdD is simply a reality. It changes. Cracks form and grow. Perfect material apparently produces no results, and when the cracks are too large, high loading, also apparently necessary for significant results, becomes impossible. The material apparently must be *just so*.

But, yes, no "visible cause." Unless one can examine the cathode with an SEM. Maybe it can be seen and measured.

The point is that one out of six is actually fine, not terribly difficult, except for one thing: it can take months to run one of these experiments. So, if one is serious, one must run many cells in parallel, which is exactly what Pons and Fleischmann did in their later work. I've been suggesting expanding this, by making cells smaller and cheaper, the limit is the smallest cell for which heat can be measured with reasonable separation from noise. NASA is apparently exploring cells-on-a-chip, with many cells built on a substrate perhaps using techniques common in electronics. I assume that with the connections through the substrate, individual cells can be run together with the others, or separately, all being immersed in the same electrolyte (if this is electrolytic, or in the same gas if this is gas-loading.)

OK, in the heroic period of the research you can work with many cells in parallel, try to understand why some work and why the others re inert, but later attention has to be focused on the active cells.

Sure. You would tighten the parameter space, looking for what Schwarz calls the OOP, optimal operating point. You'd still maintain controls, but they might shift in character. You'd still want a null control, if possible, i.e., a cell that is not expected to generate heat, so that you can maintain a check on the calorimetry.

As you get closer to 100% reliability, you do *not* start running fewer cells, probably. You might even increase the numbers. However, as more and more data is collected, it becomes more likely that sound theory will be developed. Theoreticians will suggest tests of theory, and parameters will be more thoroughly explored.

Letts has apparently found that a magnetic field is necessary for dual-laser (beat frequency) stimulation to work. Great. How large a magnetic field? What is the "turn-on" behavior, i.e, at what level of magnetic field does the stimulation start to work, and is there a relation between field intensity and XP? Letts has only used a strong field or no extra field. (It's been pointed out that it is possible that a small magnetic field is generally necessary, even in non-laser-stimulation experiments, but that this might be supplied by the earth's magnetic field. So this could be tested by nulling out that field, easily done.)

Letts will, I'm confident, investigate this as time and circumstances allow.

 It is difficult to deny that we still are in the prehistory of LENR.

If research can identify markers of the reaction other than heat and helium, it could be *extremely* useful. For example, suppose that active PdD produces a characteristic sound. (This is reported by SPAWAR, by the way). It might then be possible to monitor instantaneous reaction levels, even more quickly than through calorimetry. Monitoring IR emission could do this as well. I've wondered about visible light. There should be some, if palladium is being melted, as appears in some SEM images of cathodes. (Etc.) This kind of research would vastly speed up engineering the effect, even without a sound theory.

I am absolutely enchanted with the idea of "singing cathodes" and will ask my active experimentalist friend to test the idea.

SPAWAR fabricated a cathode by elecroplating a piezoelectric sensor, and found, as I recall, pulses about 10 usec wide. These may have been correlated to flashes they see in the infrared, but no correlation was shown. Look, there is a wide range of possible investigations, it's all exciting.

Suppose, for example, that the number of such pulses (or shock waves, as they might be considered) is found to be correlated to XP. Bingo. An independent measure of reaction rate, creating possible instrumentation to real-time monitor the reaction more easily and quickly, thus speeding up research.

A focus on "proving that this is fusion" created an environment where searching for such effects was not considered so important. Obviously, a few 10 usec pulses, even dozens or more per second, doesn't prove anything "nuclear." But so what? If it is found to correlate well with the nuclear effect (helium and -- we can assume -- heat), it becomes highly useful.

It may be possible to detect the shock waves without a special cathode, I intend to look at what I see with piezo mikes on the cell. I could run into all kinds of problems, but -- this is really cheap and easy to try.

I also will be set up to watch the cathode under a digital microscope, with adequate resolution to see 10 micron features. However, my microscope has automatic level control, and may not function well under very low light conditions, so I'll also be able to watch the cathode with an optical long-focus microscope that I have. The human eye may be quite a good light detector under very low-light conditions. I'll have to watch out for those N-ray effects, though! If I'm lucky, the digitial microscope will show something.

We play and find stuff. Or don't. But looking is fun. It can ultimately be profitable, as well. Sometimes. No guarantees.

*Without needing any new approach to be invented.* Of course, if more reliable methods of triggering LENR are found, great. I expect the same kind of work can be done with NiH, for example.
It seems NiH (transition metal hydrogen systems) are somewhat simpler and more practical than electrochemical cells.

In the long run, yes. I have nothing against NiH work, but I don't want to see electrochemical PdD abandoned merely because it is not likely to be practical for power generation. Those who only want to pursue power, great, I'd agree that NiH is more likely. But for those who love science, as well as those who want to advance science (knowing that this ultimately advances engineering), PdD is there, and can be done fairly cheaply.

(I think reliability in Science, engineering, business, marriage, musical interpretation is, grosso modo, the same overall. Statistical reliability in engineering, production is about a small proportion of under-quality pieces. A minimum is say 98.5% good items.)

Depends on the nature of the application. However, reliability of an effect is not necessary in science, it is simply one more characteristic that is measured, by accumulating experience and quantifying it. X out of 100 cells tested following Protocol Y were found to exhibit anomalous heat above 5% of input power. Then we look for associations present with X and not with not-X, or vice-versa. We try variations, etc. And we also run the *same* series again. There difficulty is that electrolytic cold fusion is extremely sensitive to seemingly trivial variations in the material. This is one reason why I think the most productive work will be with electro-deposited palladium, because it may, particularly with thin layers, be easier to control that deposit. But there are still many ways to mess it up, apparently. An advantage of deposited techniques: generally cheap.

I remember the volcano eruption of optimism when Stan Szpak has invented the method. It definitely gives improvements, however not spectacular ones. The liquid phase being saturated with air, the newly formed surfaces are also poisoned from the start..

There have apparently been problems replicating what was sometimes true codeposition and sometimes it was deposition followed by deuterium evolution. There is no sign in the SPAWAR work that initial air was excluded. It could be, but if they got results without excluding it, one would expect others to be able to do so as well.

I think you are probably too focused on your gas-poisoning model. It's worth investigating, I'm sure. Indeed, any mysterious variability is worth investigating. Mystery is where the future is found, where limitations are transcended.

Whenever a reputable group (as SPAWAR certainly is) finds a result and others have difficulty replicating it, the community as a whole should, my opinion, see this as an opportunity to learn more. Instead, it seems, people just shrug it off. I know that a major scientist in the field attempted to get codeposition to work and failed, but this was never published. That's a loss. Publishing such a result does not mean that there is error in the original report, not at all. It means, though, that it is likely that there are unspecified but necessary conditions! Or something is present that was absent in the original work.

Very likely.

Codep is not necessarily simple, and the growth of the deposit could vary greatly, one of the reasons why I'd probably want to look at *very early* behavior, while the deposit is fairly simple. Codep is rumored to produce rapid results. If, however, the cell voltage is high enough to generate deuterium, for true codeposition, the deposit tends to fall off the cathode, it does not adhere well. Miles reports pieces of palladium (probably with attached hydrogen bubbles) floating about the cell and causing little explosions as they contact oxygen coming off of the anode.... Nifty, eh? Palladium would do that, eh?

So just look at the very early behavior. That's where seeing those "pops" could be very useful....

People will develop their own work and approaches. However, I'm hoping that a community consciousness can develop that will be aware of the research issues to be resolved. Examples:

1. How do excess heat, H/D ratio, and tritium production correlate in an FPHE cell? 2. How can a "standard CF cell" and basic protocol be designed, so that results of researchers who choose to use such a design/protocol can be compared, allowing wider correlations to be made. Such a cell should be cheap and easy to make. As improvements are developed, new "revisions" of such a design would be issued, but speed with this could defeat the purpose. The lifetime of a "standard cell" design should probably be at least a few years.

(It's been thought that this second goal involves "herding cats." No, it doesn't. It is not necessary for all cats to agree, and, in fact, anyone could develop and propose and offer such a design. It's just that cooperation will probably be more efficient! It would remain voluntary!)

It becomes possible with experience. One of the big concerns about CF is that occasionally, heat production has been enormous, cf. Pons and Fleischmann's cell meltdown. However, if cell performance becomes reliable, within a few percent, say, such an outlier becomes quite unlikely. That meltdown cell was bulk palladium, a 1 cm cube. It would be interesting if someone, taking appropriate precautions, were to run that again. The worry: that the meltdown was at the low end of what might happen.... but it's unlikely.

We still cannot explain those events- the cubic cathode, Mizuno's unquenchable 100 grams cathode, Piantelli's molten rod, cathode 64 of Energetics- on a causal or rational basis.

Right. Yet it's highly likely that the "cubic cathode" -- the P&F cell meltdown -- did actually happen and that this was a nuclear event. It could be investigated, but ... it's also very dangerous!

I've been suggesting scaling down, not scaling up. However, the goal is scientific knowledge, and that knowledge may eventually be able to explain those events, and then, rather obviously, it may be possible to engineer much larger heat release and to scale up with reliable results.

What I imagine for the meltdown is that conditions happened to come together to set up widespread and fairly sudden NAE formation, so a lot of reactions happened in very short order, before the heat could melt/vaporize the palladium, destroying the NAE. It remains hard to understand. The reaction rate probably increases as the palladium gets hotter, accelerating the heat release. But I would not expect 1 cm^3 of molten palladium to burn that hole into the concrete after burning through the lab table (and those tables are usually designed to handle significant heat, though not molten palladium). If a continued reaction is possible in molten palladium, all bets are off. I don't expect it at all, but that could explain the hole in the concrete floor.

What I'd expect is that molten palladium would release the deuterium immediately, which would burn, of course, maybe even explode (purely from pressure, not from oxidation), if released quickly enough, but that wouldn't release enough heat to do much more. Too little available oxygen. This would not be an oxy-deuterium torch. Just a flame.

Yes. However, Science makes Engineering more efficient.

Let's discuss engineering later, please! We will indeed learn something from Defkalion and Rossi about engineering.
 We have to explore Science and Reliability first.

We don't yet know if we have anything to learn from them.