In this particular situation I was referring to a feature of hot fusion
reactions where the parts that fuse contain the necessary kinetic energy that
is converted into potential energy as the nuclei come closer together.  The
source of the kinetic energy is temperature in the millions of degrees range
and the reactants are in the form of plasma as a result.  The high temperature
also forces the plasma to be far less dense than a crystalline solid.

I recall that the density of atoms within a crystal is orders of magnitude more
than within a hot plasma.   This density information is available if you need a
more accurate estimate but it will take a bit of effort to locate it.  Perhaps
one of the vorts will supply it from memory.

My main reason for mentioning this factor is to suggest that the far larger
number of protons per volume present within LENR devices would allow coupling
between them that can not readily occur within a plasma.  I believe that many
of the unusual features of LENR devices would become evident if significant
coupling of free protons is proven to occur within the crystal structure.  If
100 or more protons work as a team, then I would estimate that as example a
gamma ray with an energy of 8 MeV would instead distribute the energy into an
average of 80 keV slices.  My helpful demon indicates that the energy from a
Rossi type proton addition reaction can be slowly absorbed if a force is
available that retards the normal proton acceleration due to the strong force
interaction.   Remember that this is a hypothesis and the coupling between a
significant number of protons has not been proven.  Also, it needs to be shown
that the gamma ray that is typically released at the moment that the proton
enters the nucleus originates from the acceleration of that proton and not some
other mechanism.

It is well established that an accelerated charged particle releases
electromagnetic radiation and therefore I would be surprised if none were to be
emitted as the strong force grabs hold of the proton that has breached the
coulomb barrier.  There also should be radiation emission during the initial
approach of the proton while it is under the influence of coulomb repulsion by
the positively charged nucleus unless this process proceeds at a steady rate.

I  want to mention that my thoughts are based upon classical physics models and
some quantum mechanics behavior might render them inoperable.

Dave