Guenter,
                I am closer to Laughlin’s camp than Axisl’s or Thom
Prevenslik’s but after many long communications with Thomas it became clear
that, IMHO,  the differences are far more semantic than most people realize… if
you  say the ether is unphysical I will agree totally because we are 3d
physical beings unable to perceive or even verbalize “matter” if it does not
exist in “our” plane – where our 3D plane is an absurdly thin ribbon that
particles from this other dimension suddenly emerge into from the future, grow
to full size in the Present and then shrink into the past..note my use of
temporal direction as opposed to spatial since the ether has no spatial bias
and just like time is perpendicular to 3d space. The rate at which these
virtual particles pass through our plane will always appear to be C from our
local perspective whether we are in a spaceship travelling at .9C and
experiencing time dilation slow relative to earth normal or if we are a tiny
observer inside a Casimir cavity where we experience time dilation fast
relative to earth normal. This would also explain why the M&M experiment fails
to  uncover any spatial bias to the ether since the direction of the ether is
perpendicular to all 3 spatial axis. I vaguely recall a comment made by Bohr on
this same argument between 2 of his famous peers [I don’t recall which] but the
upshot of the comment was that these seemingly opposing theories of whether the
ether  medium is populated really aren’t.  Instead of a sea of nonphysical
virtual particles one might consider a many body interaction where some gas
atoms are time dilated and get much older [catalyzed?] how does this effect
conservation of momentum –note we don’t care if the time stream is occupied by
virtual particles or is an absolute vacuum – the results – time dilation are
the same and my question is the “direction” of those time dilated atoms …does
the Casimir geometry which appears to approach 2D from our perspective allow us
to unbalance the conservation of momentum? I know DiFiore et all were studying
this in Italy with respect to possible gravity modification but my position has
always been that Casimir effect is actually a segregation where the suppressed
area inside the cavity is exactly balanced by a shallow larger area of
compressed area outside the plates – so I wasn’t surprised they failed to
measure any weight modification.. similarly I think Mills and Rossi need to
introduce gas molecules in a biased manner or simply exploit a geometrical
preference of the gas atoms to occupy one type of a region preferentially over
the other so the segregated effects don’t cancel. The tritium and other
radioactive gas decay anomalies would then be just a matter of which areas
inside a segregated Casimir geometry they prefer to occupy.

OK
I rambled on enough
Fran