Robin:
Thanks for the feedback, and in one sense you are right (and I'll add
'permittivity' to your list), but I was thinking of a property akin to
'pressure'... and I'm going to have to think about how to better express my
thoughts!

Why does electrical current 'flow'?  Well, because of an imbalance of
electric charges between two regions, one can think of each region being at
a certain pressure, and the delta between them is called 'voltage', or
potential difference for the old fogies. Connect these regions with a
conductor of some kind and electrical current will 'flow'.

Now, can this analogy be applied to the vacuum?

GIVEN:
Two Casimir cavities, C1 and C2, with plate spacings of d1 and d2,
respectively, and
   d1 *NOT* equal to d2
so one Casimir cavity excludes more wavelengths of virtual particles than
the other, then there would be a difference in some kind of property between
C1 and C2 (ED1 and ED2; ED=energy density).

QUESTIONS:
 - Can that difference be thought of as a kind of pressure?
 - How would you measure that pressure?
 - Would that pressure diff cause some polarization of the vacuum?
And more importantly,
 - If you 'connected' one of the plates of C1 to one of the plates of C2,
would you get some kind of 'flow' (of something!) between them?  (A flow of
virtual particles perhaps?)
 - If a flow of virtual particles can occur, then what would you use to
connect C1 to C2?
 - Would it be a continuous flow since you probably can't deplete the
vacuum?
 - Can you equate various aspects of atoms (I'm thinking physical spacings)
as Casimir cavities with different spacings (after all, there is only vacuum
between subatomic particles), and thus the above situation is present
everywhere, and there are continuous flows of vacuum going on within
atoms/nuclei?

I seem to have triggered a constant flow of questions, but I'll stop there!
:-)

G'nite all,
-Mark Iverson