From: Robert Lynn <robert.gulliver.l...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sun, Aug 5, 2012 3:50 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:LENR Heat Vs. Coal Heat

a 1°C increase in the earth's temperature increases the energy radiated away by
about 1.5%.  Using your 6000:1 figure for current human energy releases we
could increase our energy consumption by about 100 times (ie 1/60th of suns
input energy) and only increase the Earths temperature by 1°C on average, and
at that sort of energy consumption we could all live permanently in aircraft
flying around the world.

1°C isn't very significant next to the 3°C temperature variation we have had
during the current interglacial (the Holocene over the last 10000 years, most
of which was hotter than today). Or next to the 8-10°C variation we get between
the normal ice-age state and the brief interglacials that we have had over the
last few million years.

Solar variation appears to be relatively minor, perhaps about 0.1% in terms of
total incident energy (though we don't have good information before the
satellite era - the sun could be long-term variable and we wouldn't know), but
is perhaps much more significant in terms of how the spectrum of that energy is
distributed, with possibly small variations in higher frequencies, solar
magnetic field and charged particles producing large effects via subtle changes
in atmospheric chemistry and cloud nucleation.

So there are obviously natural effects that massively overwhelm our present
ability to affect the earth's temperature, even if doubling CO2 does ultimately
increase temperature by 1-2°C

Luckily there are relatively subtle ways where we can input a small amounts of
energy and produce bigger effects on the earth's temperature.  In particular
using distributed water turbines or erecting barriers in the ocean to modify
oceanic circulation and heat transport between poles and equator (can magnify
the effect of your input energy by 1000's of times).  Or melting icecaps, or
growing them by pumping water onto them.  Hopefully we will be able to use such
tricks to prevent the oncoming iceage that is otherwise due to start sometime
in the next 2000 years.