Since the energy radiated from a black body (StefanĀ–Boltzmann law) is
proportional to T^4, all one need do is heat pump the energy into an area on
the ground such that it is white hot.  The IR will radiate into space.

I don't think that'll ever be necessary, though.

Hoyt Stearns

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:[email protected]]
  Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2012 1:32 PM
  To: [email protected]
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:LENR Heat Vs. Coal Heat


  Harry Veeder <[email protected]> wrote:


    I agree, that sooner or later global warming from waste heat will
    become an issue...unless we can cancel the waste heat with waste cold
    which is considered impossible according to the laws of
    thermodynamics.


  Nope. That would make refrigerators impossible. The Second Law states that
heat cannot of itself go from one body to a hotter body. It can go but you
need an external mechanism. Such as compressed and expanded gas moving
around a loop.


  Since heat escapes in about a half hour, and since total the heat release
from machines is far less than solar energy, I do not think this will ever
be a problem. However, suppose we find too much waste heat at ground level
from energy production is trapped in the atmosphere. It causes heat islands
and even contributes to global warming. In that case, we need to build a
gigantic refrigerator coil that dumps the heat outside the atmosphere. That
is to say, something like space elevator, or at least a tower maybe 100 km
high.  Air temperature refrigerator fluid is pumped up the tower, out of the
atmosphere, and then compressed. It is decompressed on the down loop.


  You might just pump ocean water temperature water up the tower and let it
cool in space. I am not sure if that would work. It would work at night.


  Plan B would be a gigantic thin film parasol, to intercept sunlight.


  If we have a space elevator, I think it would make more sense to transfer
heavy industry up, away from the atmosphere. I guess right up to the Clarke
orbit (geosynchronous). You put the waste heat, noise and pollution 35,000
km away.




  You have to Think Big.


  - Jed

Reply via email to