I'll top-post this reply to make it easier to read:

What I meant is that the device does not look at all convincing, this
release could be Rossi's way of getting some early feedback on the types of
objection that critics are likely to have when he unveils it for his next
set of demonstrations, so I am perhaps doing him that small service.  :)

Hydrides release hydrogen at higher and higher pressures as the temperature
increases, increasing temperature from 500°C to 1200°C could increase
pressure by an order of magnitude.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Metal_hydride_hydrogen.storage.graph.gif
http://www.rebresearch.com/sorbers.html
pressure would be increasing massively as your temperature increased - a
very dangerous situation for a reactor that is rapidly losing strength.
 And this would be quite scary in terms of the lack of control over the
reaction that it would give (depending on what the influence of pressure is
upon the reaction).  He apparently has no way of measuring or releasing
pressure - again very dangerous, and he would be lucky not to have a
dangerous accident if he was really using such a system.

Even using only a small amount of hydride (not running at pressure
equilibrium) you would then have a pretty dangerous situation with pressure
increasing as metal strength decreased.  at 1200°C all superalloys are
extremely weak.  And the rate of hydrogen leakage would also increase
massively at such high temperatures - you would need some way to compensate
for that leakage.

And then there is the added problem of how to ensure that the source of
your heat energy is not leaking and reacting hydrogen (they store a lot of
energy).

It makes no difference what the temperature is under the skin - like the
earth's core is thousands of degrees, but the surface is only about 280K on
average, and it is the surface that radiates (or convects) away the heat.
 Though the hole you point to does look to be more like 700-800°C it is
only a tiny area, and will be radiating very little energy.  Almost the
whole surface is barely starting to have a hint of red - so the temperature
looks to be under 500°C.  His stories about not being able to get close
because it was too hot sounds like rubbish, you can easily put your hands
in front of a bar heater or radiant gas heater operating at the power
levels he is claiming, and 13kW on the surface of a 1.2m radius sphere is
only about the same heat flux as the sun has on a cloudless day.

His statement about heat being radiated by inner walls sounds like he
doesn't understand basic radiative physics, as all that energy must leave
through the small holes at the end, those holes are the only area that
count (in terms of the heat energy from the inner tube).