Yes, it makes sense to think there is still a closed reactor within the
'thick doughnut'.
It shows also, in that case, that control of this unit seems well working,
since instead of having a flow of cooling fluid a very restricted form of
air cooling is applied here.
The use of a hydride tablet seems very logic. This is not very exotic.