Harry Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

how does he determine the ouput ?

Briefly: The abstract says that at the lab they have a precision flow
calorimeter. Here they are using crude thermometry in an uncontrolled
environment. That is, a room full of people crowded around the machine,
with currents of air and so on. Not a constant temperature incubator. That
is obviously inaccurate but you cannot transport a flow calorimeter.

The cell is equipped with two wires. One for calibration which I think is
nichrome. It is gray, anyway. The other, working wire is constantan (Isotan
44) treated by Celani to be a lot more porous and absorbent.

By "thermometry" I mean they turn on the 48 W heater or the working wire
and watch the temperature stabilize at 120 deg C. That is the minimum
temperature below which this material will not load, and no effect can be
seen. This is straight DC power coming from a high quality power supply. As
you would expect when there is no excess the temperature is very stable.
The temperature stabilizes for a while even with the working wire. This
morning it was flat. No indication of excess heat. When excess heat begins
it fluctuates considerably, climbing and falling, from one minute to the
next.

With this kind of gas calorimeter, the increase in temperature is
proportional to the excess heat, although not linear. When I did similar
calorimetry years ago with Mizuno I found the response was stable,
repeatable and predictable, and the fact that it is not linear is
unimportant. (With something like LabView you can just tell it to be linear
anyway. Throw in a fudge factor, or probably nowadays tell it to figure out
the fudge factor.)

Rob Duncan told me that the major problem with this arrangement would be
changes in heat loss because of changes in convection. Convection
dominates. If anything, he expects convection would increase as the gas
moves faster, and this would lower the temperature.

There is one thing that might raise the temperature slightly. The cell has
a leak. It is initially pressurized to 20 atm. It loses 1 atm over 8 hours.
That could not explain the anomalous temperature increase for two reasons:

1. The temperature rise happens too soon.

2. A leak is probably fairly steady, causing a steady, linear increase in
temperature. It would never decrease. It would not fluctuate rapidly.

When they brought the cell to Texas it had a variety of different
instrument types attached, with LabView software written by various
physicists and other non-experts. The people at NI looked at it --
actually, Truchard, the president and CEO himself looked at it, I gather --
and said "let's get rid of everything but the cell." They replaced all
instruments, computers, the interface box etc.; they put in the latest
version of LabView and rewrote the code. So now it is as good as any
instrument I have ever seen. It looks like a product brochure
illustration. Except the method is still crude. At one point Truchard said,
"what this needs is an IR sensor for the surface temperature." He jumped in
his car, drove to an electronics store and came back with a handheld IR
sensor. He said: "This was on sale. I got a great deal on it!" The IR
sensor is sitting on the table. That's the way the NI engineer told me the
story, anyway. They say it is typical of Truchard.

Input power is steady at 48 W both in Texas and here. Anomalous output was
5 W and climbing when I last saw it. In Texas it peaked at 21 W. I think
Celani said that is a typical result. In other words, 48 + 21 = 69 W. I
think that even crude thermometry should be adequate to measure a
difference as large as this.

I would call this a trade-show demonstration. That is, not something
perfectly convincing in itself, but something that gives you feel for what
the product is like. I doubt that the ENEA labs are incapable of measuring
the difference between 48 and 69 W.