At 03:38 AM 8/15/2012, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Jarold McWilliams <<mailto:oldja...@hotmail.com>oldja...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Will cold fusion finally go mainstream after this ICCF-17?

No.

Well, in some senses, cold fusion is already "mainstream." The extreme, pseudoskeptical position is dead in the journals. Some journals still automatically reject papers on the field, but that is basically meaningless. The last nail was driven in this coffin when Naturwissenschaften published the Storms review in 2010, the shift had obviously begun years before. Read carefully, the 2004 U.S. DoE review shows the bankruptcy of the position that cold fusion is "pathological science" or "pseudoscience," even though that review was badly flawed in certain ways.

However, there is, to be sure, a large well of strongly-held myth, common among the ignorant. There is also such a large well about other topics, such as evolution. So? We just saw, here, someone continue to assert that Obama's long form birth certificate was "obviously" bogus. There was indeed a well of criticism that spurted strongly when that was released, based on arguments that have been thoroughly discredited, most were simply blatant errors.

Yet a lot of people still believe in the various myths, such as the totally preposterous "Professor Fleischmann's findings were never replicated." You can even find that in some newspaper accounts. So? All this shows is that some newspaper writers don't research the topic before writing on it, beyond looking at their own old files, errors reported years ago.

  Celani has done independent testing, right?

Not sure what this means. Are you asking whether Celani has sent his device to others to be tested? The answer is no, but I think he has sent some samples of his material to others. I am not sure if they have tested or report back yet.

There is a lot of confusion over the difference between experimental work and "demonstrations." Demonstrations rarely prove anything. They are just an opportunity for people to see the kind of work that is being done, to meet involved people, etc.

With cold fusion, whenever there is some jiggling about possible commercial energy production, demonstrations are not satisfying. What is needed is fully independent replication, and that necessarily takes time. Lots of time.

However, a truly killer demonstration might be different. Celani is obviously not ready for that, nor would I encourage him to try to create it. He's still working on the basic process. Sure. He could put a lot of effort into making a device with 100 wires in it, and maybe generate 1.5 kilowatts. And people would still grumble. He's much better off running lots of individual wire experiments, until he's found his optimal operating points.

As long as the size is adequate to produce clear measurements above noise, smaller is actually better.

People who are asking "what is the COP" are not interested in the science, they are interested in commercial power. Too bad. They may have to wait. The big issue with CF has *always* been reliability, and a couple of experiments don't establish reliability. What will establish it is a series of independent replications, where the results are *quantitatively* compatible. *Nobody* is there yet; that is, if they are there, they aren't telling, not in any way that can be confirmed with clarity.

I'm not very familiar with how science becomes accepted mainstream, but I do not understand why it is taking so long.

Cold fusion is encountering unprecedented opposition. In the history of science, no experiment has been so widely replicated yet still rejected. This is an institutional failure. The scientific method works. The experiments are definitive. But many scientists have stopped acting like scientists. They are letting their emotions get the better of them. This has often happened in the past, but never to this extent, and never for this long.

Jed is right. There is a lot of history to this. I highly recommend, as to something that is easily found and read, Beaudette, "Excess Heat: Why Cold Fusion Research Prevailed." Something very strange happened in 1989-1990, the basic protocols of science were abandoned.

Normally, an isolated unconfirmed report that implies something is wrong with common assumptions might be ignored. Once it's replicated, though, independently, the situation shifts. Even a single replication can have that effect. Replication failure is *never* a reason to reject a report, for sometimes replication failure is simply that: a failure to replicate. It can mean any of many things, from failure to reproduce the original report's conditions, to there being a chaotic element in the experiment, to, yes, error or fraud in the original report.

But the basic finding of Pons and Fleischmann was replicated many times; Jed has a listing of 153 reports of anomalous heat, published in peer-reviewed journals. Why was this not accepted?

Note that the number of reports is irrelevant to replication. I've often seen it said that the Fleischmann-Pons experiment was "simple," and therefore replications should have succeeded. This was far, far from a simple experiment, electrochemists who succeeded in demonstrating the effect have said it was the most difficult work they ever did. It *looks* simply to those who don't have real experience with electrochemistry. And the early failed replications were based in utterly inadequate knowledge of the original experimental conditions, they thought it would be enough to just stick some electrodes in a "jam jar" and connect them to a battery.

Why did the physics community, in general, not take up the implied challenge? Here is an unexplained phenomenon, amply confirmed anomalous heat from PdD, not close to noise. And, to boot, correlated with helium production. (Which makes the "unreliability" irrelevant.) If this was artifact, this was far more important than N-rays or polywater. What's the artifact? Or, more to the point, and more simple, *What the hell is causing this anomalous heat and apparent helium?*

The experiment is a chemistry experiment, but the explanation is probably going to involve some very difficult quantum field theory. What are you physicists anyway, a bunch of wimps? .... ahem.....

Read the history if you really want to know. It did happen. It was not a conspiracy to suppress cold fusion, most of the people involved who took actions with the effect of suppression -- and there were such -- didn't believe cold fusion was real, that's part of the whole issue. Sociologists and other observers have come up with various explanations.

A turf war between chemists and physicists.

A difference between chemists and physicists as to how experiments are done and interpreted.

A dislike for the possibility that some "knowledge" might be wrong. (Mostly illusory. To use cold fusion to test existing theory, one must have a proposed mechanism. Exiting theory does rule out some mechanisms, perhaps, but can't rule out "unknown nuclear reaction," which, it has been so easily forgotton, was what Pons and Fleischmann actually claimed, not "cold fusion." The NY Times Fleischmann obituary got this directly wrong. Pons and Fleischmann did not invent the term "cold fusion" and did not claim that what they found -- the major anomalous heat -- was the result of fusion. They asked the question, that's all.)

Attachment, professional and institutional, to funding for hot fusion research (which really did seem threatened in 1989, and that threat might arise again if cold fusion is accepted).

Once the error of rejection of experimental evidence in favor of theory was made, it became institutionalized.

I should add some additional possible causes for the confusion over cold fusion, in the other direction from what I assert above.

Pons and Fleischmann allowed themselves to be pushed into prematurely releasing their findings. It was a setup for replication failure.

P&F did not disclose that the experiment was difficult. That allowed people to think it was simple.

P&F were allegedly secretive about certain aspects of the work. I'm not so certain about this, apparently they did communicate with some to help with replication.

P&F were not aware of how critical the exact material was, nor of how the material apparently prepared itself, under some conditions, through repeated loading. They did not announce the necessary loading ratio (if they knew it).

P&F believed that the reaction was a bulk effect, taking place deep in the lattice, so they believed that helium would be found trapped in the lattice. When it wasn't, that damaged their credibility.

P&F did not vet their neutron findings with experts. In addition, in their first paper, much space was devoted to examining the standard fusion reactions that might produce some neutrons, and it was then easily overlooked that they pointed out that the reaction producing neutrons was obviously not the main reaction, that the main reaction was, from the amount of heat generated, and the low number of neutrons, an "unknown nuclear reaction."

Even using the word "nuclear" was an error there. "Unknown reaction, not appearing to be of chemical origin," would have been much safer.

I still think that the finding of Pons and Fleischmann was spectacular, and I'm glad that Fleischmann was able to see his vindication in scientific journals, if not in popular opinion among many physicists. It's been fascinating to me to see the entrenched pseudoskepticism of so many physicists and others who should know better.

Jed's been dealing with this for many years. People, once they decide to believe something, can become extraordinarily resistant to change. Something about needing to have been right, perhaps. Maybe it's scary to realize that one can make an error like that. Myself, I'm glad to find I've made an error, because it allows me to move on. But I've probably got my own bugs.... such as thinking I'm different....