On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
<a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

> A dislike for the possibility that some "knowledge" might be wrong. (Mostly
> illusory. To use cold fusion to test existing theory, one must have a
> proposed mechanism. Exiting theory does rule out some mechanisms, perhaps,
> but can't rule out "unknown nuclear reaction," which, it has been so easily
> forgotton, was what Pons and Fleischmann actually claimed, not "cold
> fusion." The NY Times Fleischmann obituary got this directly wrong. Pons and
> Fleischmann did not invent the term "cold fusion" and did not claim that
> what they found -- the major anomalous heat -- was the result of fusion.
> They asked the question, that's all.)

They did more than pose a question. They attempted to answer their own
question by doing some experiments.
Even if they did not officially "claim" their experiments demonstrated
fusion, I am sure they were motivated by the speculation that fusion
might occur in a lattice frequently enough to produce measureble heat.
In other words they were exploring the question of "cold fusion", even
if they did not call it that.

Harry