From: James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sun, Aug 19, 2012 1:48 pm
Subject: [Vo]:Question About Conservation of Energy In Plasma Transitions

Let's say you've got a xenon atom.  It likes to absorb energy and emit photons.
 You know, xenon lamps etc.

OK, so lets ask a real simple question:

When a tube filled with xenon gas has some energy pumped into it and the
electrons go to higher orbitals -- yes this happens for a very short period of
time before photons are emitted but let's talk about just the short period of
time.  The diameter of the atoms presumably increases.  Does the gas pressure
increase during that interval?

Now lets say that the energy is sufficient to actually strip the electrons away
and form an ionized gas for a short interval.  Does the ionized gas pressure
increase during that interval?

Now lets talk about really-simple magnetic confinement (say a magnetic mirror
type bottle) used in conjunction with a solid tube so that the non-conducting
(because non-ionized) gas phase is confined by the solid tube and the
conducting (because) ionized gas phase is confined by the magnetic bottle:

When the electrons fall back into their ground states we can comfortably assert
that the photons emitted will equal the energy input.  However, what if the
plasma has expanded during the high pressure phase, ie:  done work against the
magnetic confinement (like, oh, I don't know, generating an electrical power
spike in a conductor associated with the magnetic field).  Does that mean the
"free" electrons of the plasma no longer want to return to their ground states
and give up exactly the same amount of energy that they would have in the
absence of having done work?  If not, where did the electrons go and where do
the xenon atoms get electrons to substitute for them?