That was just an example of a perfect sphere.  A crack or cylinder that
winds it way would of course be smaller diameter.  It was just a first pass
and did not rely on any other effects that might reduce the volume
requirements.  For example if quantum gravitation effects are higher than
predicted, it may take much less volume/mass for collapse.  I would
consider that sphere radius a maximum.