Found this post in my outbox, it wasn't sent.

At 06:46 PM 8/17/2012, Axil Axil wrote:

The production of neutrons may well be avoidable if the reaction is properly designed. As a model, Rossi has been purifying his reaction for more than a year. My guess is that the use of Deuterium is conducive to neutron production.

Aw, Axil, you should know better. The FPHE doesn't produce neutrons to any significant amount. That's the experimental evidence. The FPHE uses deuterium, PdD. The subject report is a different approach, only roughly analogous to the FPHE. I.e., TiD.

We have no evidence for neutrons with Rossi's approach. And it's not clear what evidence we have for neutrons from TiD.

The post pointed to papers that allege neutron production from TiD:

1. Menlove, H.O., et al. Reproducible neutron emission measurements from Ti metal in pressurized D2 gas. in Anomalous Nuclear Effects in Deuterium/Solid Systems, "AIP Conference Proceedings 228". 1990. Brigham Young Univ., Provo, UT: American Institute of Physics, New York. p. 287.

2. Menlove, H.O. High-sensitivity measurements of neutron emission from Ti metal in pressurized D2 gas. in The First Annual Conference on Cold Fusion. 1990. University of Utah Research Park, Salt Lake City, Utah: National Cold Fusion Institute. p. 250.

3. Menlove, H.O. and M.C. Miller, Neutron-burst detectors for cold-fusion experiments. Nucl. Instr. Methods Phys. Res. A, 1990. 299: p. 10.

4. Menlove, H.O., et al., Measurement of neutron emission from Ti and Pd in pressurized D2 gas and D2O electrolysis cells. J. Fusion Energy, 1990. 9(4): p. 495.

5. Menlove, H.O., et al., The measurement of neutron emission from Ti plus D2 gas. J. Fusion Energy, 1990. 9: p. 215.

6. Mengoli, G., et al. Tritium and neutron emission in conventional and contact glow discharge electrolysis of D2O at Pd and Ti cathodes. in Second Annual Conference on Cold Fusion, "The Science of Cold Fusion". 1991. Como, Italy: Societa Italiana di Fisica, Bologna, Italy. p. 65.

7. Seeliger, D., et al. Evidence of neutron emission from a titanium deuterium system. in Second Annual Conference on Cold Fusion, "The Science of Cold Fusion". 1991. Como, Italy: Societa Italiana di Fisica, Bologna, Italy. p. 175.

I probably have some of these papers here, but I haven't looked. Okay, okay, so you twisted my arm. Menlove published some papers in J. Fusion Energy. So I have sources 3, 4 and 5.

None of Seeliger's papers are available through download from lenr-canr.org. Menlove source 1 is available from lenr-canr.org

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MenloveHOreproducib.pdf

Source 2 is not, nor is Mengoli's paper avaiable. However, there is a 1991 paper from Menlove available:
http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MenloveHOlowbackgro.pdf

That is after the other sources, so it might be more inclusive. I don't have time to read these today.

However, from the last Menlove paper (1991):
A wide variety of neutron detector systems have been used at various research facilities to search for anomalous neutron emission from deuterated metals. Some of these detector systems are summarized here together with possible sources of spurious signals from electronic noise. During the past two years, we have performed experiments to measure neutron emission from pressurized D2 gas mixed with various forms of titanium metal chips and sponge. Details concerning the neutron detectors, experimental procedures, and results have been reported previously. Our recent experiments have focused on increasing the low-level neutron emission and finding a way to trigger the emission. To improve our detection sensitivity, we have increased the shielding in our counting laboratory, changed to low-background 3He tubes, and set up additional detector systems in deep underground
counting stations. This report is an update on this experimental work.

And from the summary:
Our overall detector efficiencies range from 20% to 44% for the four separate detector systems that are operating in parallel experiments. Two of the detector systems are segmented to provide separate signal outputs for a consistency check on the origin of the signals. Our coincidence background depends on the detector and shielding location and ranges from 2 counts/h to less
than 0.5 counts/wk in the deep mine locations.
Only two of the 19 samples emitted excess neutrons during the current series of experiments; however, the excess yields were observed in three independent detector systems (detectors 1, 2, and 4). The neutron yield from sample DD-17 in detector 1 was several orders of magnitude above the control-run background levels, and the yield was the largest that we have observed during two years of experiments. This result was obtained in the low-background underground
laboratory at Los Alamos.
Our search for a trigger mechanism for the neutron emission has been unsuccessful and our sample success rate is less now than it was one year ago. We think that part of the reason for the low success rate is that we have tried a large variation in sample types and experimental procedures. The number of experimental variables far exceeds our capacity to investigate the
parameters.

From the text:
There are several days with excess neutron emission from
sample Ti-48 with the highest day having an average yield of 1.12 counts/h and a statistical
significance of 3 รณ

To treat the recent report of 62M neutrons per five minutes as if it were a rediscovery of this old work, showing, at most, a little over one neutron per hour, is highly misleading, it seems from this quick examination. It is irritating that people's time is wasted by this misrepresentation.

This came from a post here, I'm quoting: