It seems that Ed Storms is not the first worker to speculate about the
important roll that cracks play in cold fusion. I ran into another. Here is
what Kenneth Shoulders says in this reference

http://www.spiritofmaat.com/archive/mar2/fox.htm

about cracks in palladium:

*"It is possible that many of the proven over-unity devices and systems
depend on the unknown (or known) generation of High Density Charge Clusters
(HDCC).*

*For example, one possible source of the excess energy and/or new elements
found in deuterium/palladium electrochemical cells could be the production
of HDCC formed when the palladium lattice cracks.*

*It is known that the palladium cathode becomes stressed (from being loaded
with deuterium) and brittle (the well-known hydrogen embrittlement).
Kenneth Shoulders suggests that the crack severs trillions of ionic bonds
which provides a high voltage that quickly shorts out through the
conductive palladium.*
*This short-duration, high-voltage spike produces a charge cluster from the
cathode side and is accelerated to the anode side, but it also picks up
deuterons. The end result can be sufficient velocity to cause nuclear
reactions when the combined charge cluster strikes the palladium anode side
of the crack."*
**
**
**