I wrote:

> Generally speaking, in my experience, the value of a technical claim is
> inversely proportional to the level of secrecy applied to it.

I am not being cynical. Well, not completely cynical. In technology, when
you make an important claim you file a patent. A patent must reveal
everything or it is invalid. In pure science, when you make an important
breakthrough you rush to publish it as soon as possible to establish
priority.

Sometimes, foolish people make what they think is an important breakthrough
and they try to keep it secret. These "breakthroughs" are usually mistakes
or stuff that everyone knows already.

Howard Aiken's dictum applies: "Don't worry about people stealing your
ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's
throats."