Part of the value of keeping an article from deletion is the history of
edits doesn't disappear.

A big part of my motivation in suggesting the use of Wikipedia as the basis
for the Hutter Prize for Lossless Compression of Human Knowledge was the
virulence of the editors of Wikipedia needs to be objectively analyzed.
When an article is distorted the editorial history tells a very important
meta-tale.  When an article is deleted, their tracks are covered.

I don't think it is any coincidence that the E-Cat article is up for
deletion at this point in time.  I suspect its an attempt to delete the
edit history -- or at least make it harder to go back and figure out what
is really going on in a society that produces something like Wikipedia's
virulent content.