At 12:39 AM 9/17/2012, Eric Walker wrote:
On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <<mailto:a...@lomaxdesign.com>a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

You can play with ideas all you want. The information in the subject article from Defkalion is primitive, it's hard to tell what it means. Not just in terms of implication, but in terms of what they actually did to collect it. Read the article and see how ambiguous it all is. Now, of course, maybe I missed something. That happens.

I agree -- the Defkalion article is really a set of notes and shouldn't be considered a confirmation. Â I'm thinking of the ten or so experiments summarized in section 4.5 of Ed Storms's book in which transmutations were seen in a nickel substrate under hydrogen. Â This seems like enough evidence to adopt as a working assumption that Ni/H is bona fide LENR; this might be correct or it might not, but one cannot avoid making assumptions, and that seems like sufficient evidence for adopting the assumption that Ni/H is LENR until there is further evidence to call such an assumption into doubt. Â If the confirmation one seeks is correlation with heat, I agree, this is important, and I have not seen it a report of it yet, aside from anecdotal evidence. Â But that level of evidence isn't needed for exploration.

There is easily enough evidence for NiH LENR to justify exploration.

However, there is a skeptical position that deserves recognition. A lot of people, after 1989, started looking for LENR in various places. There is probably as much work done and not published as there has been published. People tend to publish what they consider interesting.

In transmutation work, there are ready and knotty contamination problems. EarthTech attempted to replicate some of Miley's work, as I recall, and was able to track down some unexpected contamination sources. A certain level of report, then, may not mean as much as we might think. Rather, a report is a report, and deserves respect. The general assumption in science is that reports are to be trusted as reflections of what the observer found. That does not mean that we assume the observer's interpretations were correct. Data <> intepretation.

So when some unusual report is of interest, what we hope for is replication or other confirmation. A general "something unusual" report can be quite misleading. This is what undisciplined investigation of a field will commonly produce. Rather, for different researchers to find the same transmutations would be of interest, and if this is correlated with other experimental conditions, across variations, it would be major confirmation. I don't think we have seen that with NiH. We have with PdD, which is why I consider PdD heat -- and even "fusion" -- to be established science.

Established science can be overturned. All someone would have to do is disconfirm heat/helium, to throw it into doubt, and this were done with conclusive identification of the responsible artifact(s), "fusion" would be dead as an explanation for the FPHE.

We'd then have an enormous mystery again: what's the source of the heat? Because it's highly unlikely that all that calorimetry is wrong. The reaction is unreliable, but it does correlate with H/D ratio and with current density and other variables, even if we could somehow shoot down the helium results. Unlikely, I'd say.

Storms is talking about low levels of transmutation, not about major levels.

I think I've heard him say this as well. Â But I also understand that the characterization of transmutations has not been carefully pursued until more recently, so it would be premature to conclude that the levels are known to be low.

The levels are known to be low. Remember, I'm talking about PdD. I'm not sure about the levels for NiH, but if there were high levels, I'd think we'd have been hearing a lot more about it.

"The ash" does not cover all possible products of rare branches or secondary reactions, it refers to the main reaction.

We agree on this point.

Great.

The helium seen in Pd/D systems seems compatible with catalyzed D or p capture, if there is some kind of subsequent alpha decay occurring within a palladium substrate; it is possible that this is not energetically favorable in Ni/H systems, though, in which case you would not expect to see 4He as an ash in Ni/H.  It is common in the experiments to see reports of fast protons and alpha particles in the palladium experiments.

Actually, it isn't common. There are reports of CR-39 tracks, but the work is problematic, confirmation rare. SPAWAR's non-neutron results are difficult to distinguish from chemical damage. I personally think they might be produced by massive low-energy alphas, under 20 KeV, but that's not a strong belief at all. Referring to the main reaction, there isn't anything above 20 KeV, the "Hagelstein limit."

I looked further into the question of alpha decay in palladium, and it does not appear to be energetically favorable -- that was just speculation on my part and not intended to be a summary of any experimental evidence. Â I've seen a lot of reports of hot alphas and protons; i.e., the CR-39 tracks -- are this the results you were questioning, or am I misreading the paragraph above? Â

First of all, the identification of tracks in CR-39 can be difficult. The Galileo project attempted to confirm SPAWAR CR-39 results, the "front side" results that were published for some years. The project did not produce clear confirmation. One of the problems with CR-39 is also its strength: it is an accumulating detector. So failry low levels of radiation can still produce significant tracks. SPAWAR accumulates tracks for weeks.

However, if you look at SPAWAR papers, you will see something that has been called "hamburger." One possible explanation for hamburger is massive tracks; the material is heavily damaged. However, if this were massive CP radiation with high energy, we'd expect to see fuzzy edges, whereas the hamburger generally has a fairly crisp edge. Rather, Earthtech, in their own Galileo effort, called the hamburger "SPAWAR tracks" -- which may have been unfair -- and associated it with chemical damage, and they found that the CR-39 detectors were actually thinned in the areas of exposure.

This was a "wet" experiment. The CR-39 was wet, in close contact with the cathode. So it could indeed be exposed to some kind of chemical attack, from reactive species close to the cathode. However, there may be another explanation: massive low-energy alphas. These would have very short range, and hence the "crisp" edge. Work remains to be done to investigate this. It's some of the low-lying fruit....

I found a different SPAWAR result to be more convincing. The back-side tracks. They did not reveal this until the Galileo protocol was set, but it looks like Pam did try to set it up so that some would use a gold wire cathode (substrate for deposition of Pd). She couldn't reveal this or give that instruction because of military secrecy. The back side tracks could only be caused by neutrons, basically. And a gold cathode, from their work, produces a lot more neutrons. The back sides show copious tracks, probably from protons produced by neutron collisions with H in the plastic. And it shows a few triple-tracks, from neutron-induced fission of C into triple alphas.

But this tells us very little about the primary reaction, and this work is single-result, which is undesirable. That is, we either see tracks or no tracks. We don't have *any* other sign of the reaction. And, in fact, the way the experiment is designed, we only get a single result. We have no idea when during the experiment any tracks were produced. From control detectors, we do have a way of distinguishing experimental results from background.

Still, there is a certain appeal to finding a few neutrons....

I believe there are studies from the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre using this approach as well showing similar results, although it's been a little while since I've reviewed them, so I might be mistaken. It is this kind of evidence, in which there are 11MeV alpha particles and 2MeV protons, that leads me to question the proposed 20KeV limit; that seems to me to be simply being selective about the experimental record.

That limit applies to substantial radiation, not to lower levels that might be found. I think it also applies to prompt radiation, not to possible radioactive isotopes. Tritium, by the way, is known to be produced, and it's unfortunate that correlations with heat or helium have not been reported. They were almost certainly there, unless the tritium is artifact.

 I appreciate that the CR-39 experiments may be problematic, and I know almost nothing about how they are carried out or what goes into them.  But they will continue to cast doubt in my mind about the proposed limit until they are completely discredited.  It's fine to adopt such a limit as a working hypothesis, however.  :)

You need to understand that the limit is not absolute. Hagelstein is not saying that the radiation doesn't exist, but that it's not significant, compared to whatever is happening with the main reaction. CR-39 is an accumultating detector and can show stuff that you'd never see with an electronic detector. The SPAWAR neutrons may represent a neutron per minute being emitted, or maybe a few. Very difficult to distinguish this from background. You can do it with CR-39 close to the source. (Or LR-115, I'm hoping, it's what we used.)

I would compare what's in the "before and after" Defkalion charts, but basic details are missing:

I didn't have the Defkalion charts in mind, although I think they're interesting.
Only very primitive science is done with anecdotal evidence. Unfortunately, a lot of cold fusion work has been like this. "We did X and Y, and we saw this amazing result, Z."

I hope I haven't been understood to suggest that this is the main thrust of science.

Please don't take anything I say personally.

Z is a reasonable basis for investigation. It may trigger some speculation. The real process of science is in confirming or disconfirming prior results, and the predictions of theory. People sometimes mistake theory for science.

While it's interesting, and the kind of stuff that people share at conferences or informally, it's far more interesting, scientifically, if we have "We did X and Y, 50 times, and this is the range of results we saw. We altered Y to Z, and this is the range of results we saw." And then when someone else independently confirms this, we have real science. If someone tries to confirm it and fails, we have not necessarily lost anything, because confirmations can fail for lots of reasons; what we then have is more work to do....

Agreed. Â These are the results that form the basis of journal articles. Â But there is a large amount of exploratory work that must precede the level of rigor that goes into the articles, and this exploratory work is just as much the business of science as the subsequent activity of drawing measured conclusions that takes place towards the end of an investigation.

Exploratory work is indeed part of the business of science, it's a very important part. However, it doesn't generate "scientific knowledge" all by itself. It provides the raw material for the progress of science, and it's a serious problem when experimental results are discarded merely because they appear to conflict with some theory, no matter how established the theory is. There might actually be no conflict at all, rather some new process is occurring that had simply never been imagined.