Under QM, the position of an election in an atom is stated as a probability
density function. That is, under QM we can only state that an electron has
a certain probability of being any particular location at any time.

Apparently this very ordinary bit of QM doesn't appear in W-L theory. The
authors of this paper are saying "this can't be right - W-L says nothing
about the electron's position, but we obviously can't have a theory that
gives the same answer regardless of whether the electron is near the proton
or on Mars."

So yes, it's sarcastic, but I read it as sarcasm in a "this can't be
right!" way rather than a "you're an idiot" way. There are many reasons my
assessment may be wrong, however.

Jeff