At 09:57 AM 10/2/2012, fznidar...@aol.com wrote:
It has now been one year since Rossi's big demonstration. Products were to come out at the end of last year, then in the Summer of 2012. Now its one year later and there is nothing. No products, no independent tests by a reputable group.

I predict that even Jed will give up within the next five years.

My operating hypothesis with Rossi, aside from the minor possibility of Total Fraud, is that he actually did find significant heat, sometimes. He might even have had some cells that produced significant heat for a long time, but that he had not actually learned to control the reaction to make it reliable, and reliability is crucial for a commercial product.

Inventors tend to believe that they can solve any problem. Some inventors have been known to jump the gun, so to speak, to announce a product before the last details are worked out. And then, needing to demonstrate it, some inventors have been known to create exaggerated demonstrations. ("After all, we'll have it fixed by next month.")

That there is some level of legitimacy to a need to keep the exact invention secret provides a ready excuse.

What I've written here is only conjecture. It was, however, behind my advice to the LENR community, when Rossi first made his big splash in early 2011, to not endorse Rossi's work without independent confirmation, because any failure to complete a commercial product would then reflect poorly on the cold fusion community.

I would prefer to have been wrong.

I also warned that for Rossi to depend on secrecy to maintain his intellectual property was foolish, it wouldn't work. Rossi may have tacked onto this a deliberate creation of an appearance of fraud, in an attempt to suppress independent attempts to find strong NiH effects.

Time will tell. A lot of people are now working openly on NiH. The field has promise, though it is not "scientifically established": with anything like the power of PdD LENR. It remains possible, at this point, that some unidentified artifacts are creating an appearance of excess heat.

On the other hand, if Storms is correct and the NiH product is deuterium, I predict that the ash will be identified soon, within a year or two. Demonstrating deuterium as ash could be as simple as using seriously deuterium-depleted light water in the experiments, and finding a correlation between heat and deuterium abundance, as was done with heat and helium production in PdD experiments.