I had thought that they destroyed their own environment through overharvesting and overhunting, ie the population was to large to live sustainably. This is not a particualrly religious reason. I had also gathered that the statues etc were an attempt to appease their gods in the hope that the gods would get them out of the mess that they had got themselves into. No Gods appeared to wave their magic wands. I've had a quick look at some of the summaries of "Collapse" and that seems to be what J Diamond says as well

Nigel