I wrote:

> Unless you know of some specific technical limitation, material shortage,
> law of nature, or some other factor that will prevent progress toward
> a given goal, it is safest to assume that progress will continue and the
> goal will be met. There is no indication that robots are inherently unable
> to do any phase of construction.

This is quite different from saying that "computers will definitely become
sentient" (that is, self-aware; conscious). We do not yet understand what
sentience is so we cannot predict with confidence that machines can achieve
it. I expect they can. That is an unsupported opinion. I do not think
biological carbon based computers (brains) have any special properties that
cannot be emulated in silicon or other materials, but I could be wrong.

Robot can already do complex assembly jobs better  than the best-trained
human being. They do these jobs in factories or on the operating table
during Lasik eye surgery. They cannot work on construction sites outdoors
mainly because these sites are chaotic and primitive, unlike organized
factory environments. I expect that robots are used in the construction of
prefabricated houses in Japan, and in things like prefabricated all-in-one
bathtub and shower units in the U.S. They certainly could be. Perhaps it is
not economical yet.

In the future I expect every phase of house and building construction will
be prefabricated. Only the final assembly will be on site. The site will be
better organized than today, and construction will occur in a tightly
organized and scheduled sequence, like the construction of a tall building
in a major city today.

When I say you can predict a technological outcome with confidence, I mean
an outcome that has a clear path where the physics are understood. Also I
mean something with a reasonably short-term payback, and a market that
anyone can see exists. Thus, I would not predict that gigantic passenger
interstellar space craft that operate close to the speed of light are
inevitable. That is much too far from today's technology. On the other
hand, I see no reason why interplanetary human colonization cannot be
achieved, with travel time between the planets of weeks or months. This is
especially likely if something like a space elevator can be constructed. It
seems likely to me that an elevator is possible, based on the book "The
Space Elevator."

It is impossible to predict whether people will summon the will to make a
space elevator, or the capital. I am sure that people will make robots
capable of construction as soon as they can. Robot R&D is paying for itself
at every stage, nowadays.

The final R&D expense to make construction site robots will be tiny
compared to the payback. Whether this will happen in 30 years, 50 years, or
100 years I cannot guess. I suppose it will happen in stages, starting with
something like a robot that only lays roof shingles and hammers them
down. I do not know enough about robots to predict this in detail. I am in
the same position as someone looking at the steamship "The Great Western"
in 1838 and predicting that someday, within 50 to 100 years, all
transatlantic passenger service would be by steamship. That was a safe bet.
As it happens, that took about 60 years.