On Oct 8, 2012, at 6:07 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is quite different from saying that "computers will definitely become
> sentient" (that is, self-aware; conscious). We do not yet understand what
> sentience is so we cannot predict with confidence that machines can achieve
> it. I expect they can. That is an unsupported opinion.

I agree, but I doubt that they can be sentient in foreseeable future. And I
base my unsupported opinion that sentience is not just making an intelligent
computer, but it is more about motivation. And in the case of human's the
motivation to be sentient is quite strongly moulded by evolution.

Also the difference between humans and most of the other smart animals, such as
elephants, dogs and dolphins is that they lack motivation to develop themselves
although here it is only a matter of degree, not qualitative difference such as
between animals and computers. I would speculate that this strong motivation of
humans, is coevolved with the language. Similarly as dogs are coevolved with
humans, so that dogs can understand humans better than any other animals expect
other humans.

Therefore, if we are to make sentient machines, there would need to be
preprogrammed huge amounts of irrational motivations, behaviour and sex drives
to do, to progress and to thrive. Learning, reading books and thinking (what we
are right now doing) is itself non-rational process and machine will not just
get it without complex and subtle pre-programming.

And the programming task is not easy, but it must probably be done using
directed and accelerated artificial evolutionary process. But I doubt that that
this is done soon, because while developing sentience we must face huge ethical
dilemma that is it right to discard semi-sentient, lets say chicken level
immortal and artificial beings just because we are learning to program cat
level sentience? And from cat level, there must be created probably billions of
sentient beings until we reach primate and dolphin level sentience not to
mentioning if we want to go beyond humans. And also there is problem that it
might be impossible to direct artificial evolutionary process accurately enough
that it will suit our needs.

I do not think that there are short cuts for sentience. However artificial
intelligence is by itself evolving rapidly and I would expect that we will make
a breakthrough in genuinely intelligent algorithms during the next 30 years.
Although strong AI is like hot fusion, that it is always looming 30 years ahead
in the future.

And cybernetics is the way to go near future!

> I do not think biological carbon based computers (brains) have any special
> properties that cannot be emulated in silicon or other materials, but I could
> be wrong.

Yes, I indeed thing that you are wrong, because silicon based brains lack the
evolutionary process. Behind human brain, there is 200 million years of
evolutionary selection. This is not something that can be done overnight. And I
really doubt that kurzweilian neurone by neurone simulation of brain will bear
fruits. But I could be wrong.

> In the future I expect every phase of house and building construction will be
> prefabricated. Only the final assembly will be on site.

There will be two options. First is a prefabrication that will come in massive
scale that everyone in the face of the Earth will notice it in November 2012.
Because Chinese are going to prefabricate and assemble the world's tallest
building that is to be completed in March 2013. There has already been
prefabricated 17 smaller skyscrapers, but this one will be the biggest building
in the world with 800 000 residential square metres. The cost of construction
per m² will be just one sixth of that of Bjur Khalifa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_City_(Changsha)

Note that in Wikipedia there is an old completion estimate in January 2013.

Second option is just brute force 3D-printing of houses. This process will suit
well for two storey bungalows. So, we have serious problem in near future. Do
we want a mile high megacities where a single prefabricated skyscraper will
actually hold the whole city with full city infrastructure or that everyone has
afford to dirt cheap bungalows with huge environmental footprint? As due to
virtual reality, distances do not matter that much.

Build a custom home in 20 hours using a giant 3D printer
http://dvice.com/archives/2012/08/build-a-custom.php

Perhaps if we force agriculture to skyscrapers and deserts, then there is
enough room for humans to live comfortably in bungalows. So we turn the idea of
city and country side upside down. That in the future humans will live in
countryside, while food is produced in the cities and skyscrapers!

> On the other hand, I see no reason why interplanetary human colonization
> cannot be achieved, with travel time between the planets of weeks or months.

Contrary to popular belief, Venus is most hospitable planets for humans to
live, because at 50 kilometres altitude pressure and temperatures are at
goldilocks zone. Solar energy is abundant, day length is just from 20 to 120
hours due to strong and steady circular atmospheric currents. And most
importantly, breathable air (either nitrogen+oxygen or helium+oxygen) is strong
lifting gas in carbon dioxide atmosphere and both mixtures are readily
extractable from atmosphere. Also 50 kilometres is above the sulphuric acid
haze that is present in altitudes between 20 and 45 kilometres.

So, if we are to find second large scale home for civilisation, Venus will be
terraform it. However permanent Mars base will be started earlier, because in
situ resource utilisation will be somewhat easier for small scale base. Also
there is more urgent science to be done in Mars than in Venus, that serves only
as a second home for human kind, where as Mars base will be mostly scientific,
before martian atmospheric pressure is within safe limits for humans. If polar
carbon dioxide ice gaps are melted, there should be enough for 30 kPa
atmosphere that is enough for humans to live there at larger scale.

> This is especially likely if something like a space elevator can be
> constructed. It seems likely to me that an elevator is possible, based on the
> book "The Space Elevator."

The main problem is that reusable rockets are cheaper than space elevators.
Reusable rockets are two orders of magnitude cheaper than current two or three
stage launch vehicles. Also there are at least two promising prototypes already
built. Those are SpaceX's Grasshopper and it's Merlin 1D engine and Reaction
Engines Ltd's Skylon single stage spaceplane and it's air breathing Sabre
engine.

If either one of those quite different approaches to reusability will succeed,
space travelling costs are reduced by two orders of magnitude and deep space
flights to Mars or Venus by three orders of magnitude. My prediction is that
first reusable spacecraft will reach orbit in early 2020's.

—Jouni