Keep us updated Dave, I never saw sparks in my experiments so you are onto
something new.   I do remembers several events though, that are just as you
described,  the voltage and current will just swing madly around as the
water boils and it will last as long as electrolyte is available.   But
because I was using the 12V rail of a 65Watt PC power supply, at best It
was just a little over 1.5A or 18W but I could not hold a small coffee jar
of solution in my hands.  I've been puzzled ever since.

What you are seeing is so exciting.

Best Regards,
Chuck