Alan, if you look at the photograph, you see GM#1 on the apparatus, where it is clearly shown in the diagram (Fig. 5), and GM#2 is hanging by a wire off to the right , as clearly stated under the photograph.

GM#2 never detects radiation from the sample but can detect radiation from GM#1 when it is activated. (Fig. 13)

The GM used were the only ones available at the time. We never expected the mica to be activated. Now that we know this, we are doing what is obvious to everyone. However, as I clearly state, this is a progress report being published to alert people to the strange behavior.

Ed