Reference:  Self-organized atomic nanowires of noble metals on Ge(001):
Atomic structure and electronic properties

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Farxiv.org%2Fabs%2F0906.4912&ei=xrGIUJ6BNMa70AGz_4CQDQ&usg=AFQjCNEmf0XIH21PHz0C-1lohScap7TfjQ&sig2=mF3fV0COlK1H4yJ8qhoK8g

New techniques in fabricating cracks (quasi-one-dimensional (1D)
structures) in noble metals (Palladium might work) have been achieved that
may make scientific analysis more tractable in the area of radiation
production through hydrogen loading in a palladium lattice.

Atomic structures of quasi-one-dimensional (1D) character can be grown on
semiconductor substrates by metal adsorption. Significant progress
concerning study of their 1D character has been achieved recently by
condensing noble metal atoms on the Ge(001) surface. In particular, Pt and
Au yield high quality reconstructions with low defect densities. We
reported on the self-organized growth and the long-range order achieved,
and present data from scanning tunneling microscopy (STM) on the structural
components.

For Pt/Ge(001), we find hot substrate growth is the preferred method for
self-organization. These atomic wires exhibit metallic conduction at room
temperature, as documented by low-bias STM.

For the recently discovered Au/Ge(001) nanowires, they now have developed a
deposition technique that allows complete substrate coverage.

The Au nanowires are extremely well separated spatially, exhibit a
continuous 1D charge density, and are of solid metallic conductance. In
this review we present structural details for both types of nanowires, and
discuss similarities and differences.

A perspective is given for their potential to host a one-dimensional
electron system. The ability to condense different noble metal nanowires
demonstrates how atomic control of the structure affects the electronic
properties.

In reducing the size to the single-atom scale, and specifically by
constructing two-dimensional (2D) and even uasi-one-dimensional (1D)
structures, the physics of the electronic charge carriers will change
dramatically. In particular, one is used to a description of the electron
states within the Fermi liquid picture.

Also, one is familiar with treatments of phase transitions within the
mean-field theory. The latter, e.g., is used successfully to describe the
conventional superconducting ground state of metals within the BCS
formalism.

However, in turning to material systems that are essentially 1D in nature,
there is indication that these scenarios do no longer apply.

With nearly 1D properties, this newly fabricated nano-material lets us
expect rather strong interactions of electrons and lattice, owing to a
reduction of electrostatic screening. Specifically, the 1D nature of the
electron system can be responsible for the occurrence of a charge density
wave (CDW), implying a metal-insulator transition for the electron band
concerned.

This now offers us an opportunity to study unusual physics that results
from the predicted breakdown of the Fermi liquid picture. The physics of
charged particles: electrons and protons in low dimension topoligy is
dramatically different from that encountered in conventional
three-dimensional bulk metals, and solid state theory predicts exotic
many-body scenarios. Most prominent for 1D systems is the emergence of the
so-called "Luttinger liquid", which results from a decoupling of the spin
and charge degrees of freedom.

In a friendly suggestion and in order to atone for my misreading of Ed
Storms latest paper, Mr. Storms among other workers would be well served to
build some of these palladium nanowires and load them with protons from
ionized hydrogen. These lattice structures are well ordered; demonstrating
high regularity which makes them an ideal target for analysis.

In addition, this week, researchers have discovered that electrons flow in
alternating directions and in parallel down within the ridges of this noble
metal nanowire array and not on or in them.

http://phys.org/news/2012-10-obstinate-electrons-assumptions-path.html

Cheers:  Axil