At 01:33 PM 12/18/2012, OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson wrote:
Abd,

My take on all of this… and I’m sure Jojo is listening inn…
I believe you have assembled a reasonably accurate chronology of
Jojo’s posting proclivities. However, I suspect too many within the
Collective are missing the primary reasons why Jojo’s posts what he
posts. Too many miss it because they simply-respond to Jojo’s
arguments with counter-arguments of their own. Unfortunately, this is
precisely what Jojo wants us to do.

Thanks, Steven. People on this list commonly assume that points are brought up here for discussion. Some people come here with some "agenda," i.e., to push this or that idea, but the long-term participants are that way only with highly related issues. We know Jed Rothwell's position on cold fusion, pretty well. You probably know mine (though mine is not necessarily as fixed as it might appear to some).

When someone comes here with something off-topic, there is a tolerance of some level of off-topic discussion. I took Jojo's claims seriously, even when they seemed preposterous to me. I found that they had no basis. They were sometimes claims that had been made at one time, when evidence to some people looked that way, but the evidentiary basis had long ago vanished, had been shown to be misleading or just plain wrong. He keeps asserting these things, and essentially ignores all contrary evidence.

In one sense I wasted a lot of time tracking these things down. (Jojo makes assertions that are highly provocative, but has stated that he deliberately avoids posting links or citing accessible evidence, because he wants people to "check for themselves." So I checked, and there was no there there.

In another sense, I now have a better understanding of the "birther" movement and why it may have gathered steam at one time or another, but has almost completely died, except from those who have buried their heads in the muck.

There is no discussion with Jojo. There is only response to provocation, and with escalation if one actually responds directly. That's harmful to the list. I'm pretty sure that it drives some readers away. (That alone would not be a reason to act, it would be a question of balance.)

Steven, you went on to speculate about the origin of Jojo's character. You might be correct, but it's not really relevant. You've taken the occasion to give him advice, and I'd echo your advice, but ... Jojo shows no sign of having the capacity to listen or to respond to that kind of good will.

From his childhood, he dug a very big hole for himself, it seems, and he's responsible for it because he is the one primarily suffering from it. No matter whose "fault" it was in the first place. I can wish him well in his struggles at the same time as I wish to see this list protected from the flame wars that arise.