At 01:48 PM 12/24/2012, de Bivort Lawrence wrote:

A discussion of the issue of Ayesha and her age and condition at the time of marriage, and some related descriptions. Thanks.

I had not discussed this issue for probably almost a decade. I've been rummaging around and found three web sites that address the age of Ayesha at marriage.

http://www.misconceptions-about-islam.com/muhammad-married-young-girl.htm links to the other two sites for a discussion of the issue of Ayesha's age. For itself, it's concerned with what the Qur'an says about marriage. The points to take away:

There is mention of "marriageable age." It is not given in years, and the context makes it clear why: different people mature at different times. It appears, as we would sanely expect, that sexual maturity -- which might be the meaning of "marriageable age" in some contexts"-- might also not be the only criterion, i.e., "sound judgment" is also mentioned.

"Marriageable age" is also the "age of consent." The traditional material I cited yesterday made it clear that if a marriage is contracted before "marriageable age," it is not final until the parties, having reached the "age of consent," have confirmed it personally. "Consent" before that is considered moot, except that traditions mentioned considered it offensive to even contract a marriage, as for a very young girl, *absent her request,* and, of course, this could only be done with parental permission.

The web site above also points to two pages, each taking a very different position.

The first page is http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_151_200/ayesha_age_the_myth_of__a_prover.htm

It takes the position that, yes, marriage at nine would be offensive, but it didn't happen. It addresses and purports to debunk the traditions that establish the age of consummation of Ayesha's marriage as nine. It makes many points that might seem to be solid. However, it's sociologically naive, assuming that marriage at sexual maturity -- which can happen before nine -- would be "offensive" to anyone. One thing is clear about the widespread story that Ayesha was nine: this only arouses rage or disgust among people from different cultures, often unaware of the history of their own culture, certainly what the culture of their ancestors might have been fourteen hundred years ago.

In the other direction is http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=4604&CATE=1

I may know the author of this page fairly well; the position is highly conservative. The author uses polemic, and dismisses the concerns of the questioner -- which match those of the first page above -- as ignorant. On the other hand, it's also fairly clear that the depth of knowedge of the writer of this page is greater. Unfortunately, the page quotes material (from the first site above?) without distinguishing it by indention or a different type face. So it's a bit confusing to read.

To truly resolve the issue with certainty as to the actual age of Ayesha is probably beyond possibility, and one problem is that those arguing the point generally already have some vested interest. With the first page, the writer has accepted modern cultural norms and applies them anachronistically, and he's then highly motivated to impeach the traditions on which the earlier ages are based. The second page is defending the traditional scholars who came up with nine years old.

All it would take is an early error, though, repeated about a few times, to create multiple chains of transmission. This is a common problem in hadith studies. All one can come up with, in general, are probabilities. That's why "proof" is such a dangerous word. The first page is pretty clearly reasoning from conclusions: since marriage at nine is obviously offensive, it couldn't have happened that way. While we might not like what history is telling us, prejudgment like that is not Islam, which essentially requires us to accept Reality, whether we like it or not. We can still dislike it! And we don't necessarily know what Reality is, but when we reject evidence because it's inconvenient to our conceptions of Reality, we've lost our foothold. Reality is the standard, not our ideas.

(You can see how I end up being involved in science! And my views on this are mine, but they are also not isolated, this approach was actually dominant for a time in Islam, early on, but ... let's say they over-reached, and become just like everyone else, i.e., if some thought differently than them, they were Bad, Wrong, and to be rejected or forced to believe correctly. Power is given in turns to people, that we not become arrogant.)

But *everyone* agrees on one point, there isn't any doubt about it at all. Ayesha was sexually mature when her marriage was consummated. There is not a shred of evidence otherwise. And *many cultures* permit consummation of marriage -- or they just call it "marriage" -- after menarche.

There is a lot of confusion on the subject because betrothal is sometimes called "marriage." Betrothal is more a "promise to marry," and it's clear that the parties must consent for the promise to become a consummated marriage. And it's very clear that a young woman before the "marriageable age," cannot give consent. "Marriageable age" in modern culture has come to mean a specific age, but in non-literate cultures, generally, it is nailed to puberty, not age in years. The Qur'anic analysis provided on the first page cited above actually extends that to include consideration of other forms of maturity, i.e., sound judgment, without mentioning an age in years.