To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>; <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:[OT] Moon God, Dozens of wives, and marriageable age

Frequently. That is, this is how a troll justifies his behavior to himself, and attempts to so justify it to others. And I've seen this from trolls who very openly admitted being trolls. They believe that they are serving a greater good. And I've trolled, and actually accomplished what I set out to do, on Wikipedia. There was a certain abusive administrator. He banned me from cold fusion, unilaterally. I took him before the Arbitation Committee. During the case, he claied that his ban was still in effect. Now, generally, I respected administrative decisions, and did not violate them, instead following due process, which can take months, even for a minor matter, sometimes. I decided the time was right for direct action. I announced that I had no more intention to honor his ban. This was on a Talk page presumably seen by Arbitrators and many administrators, in direct response to his boast that I was still banned and he could prove it.

Essentially, I invited him to prove it, by deciding to ignore the ban and give him the opportunity. I waited until a simple question was asked on the Cold fusion talk page, and I knew a clear answer. It wasn't a controversial edit, and the only thing *wrong* with it was that he'd banned me. It took me a couple of minutes. I went to bed. When I woke up in the morning, all hell had broken loose. I'd been blocked by him, and my edit had been reverted. An arbitrator had unblocked, restored my edit, and the Arbitration Committee was considering an immediate revocation of his administrative privileges. They didn't -- he was very popular -- but, in the end, they did revoke the privileges when the decision was issued. He'd gone over the edge, blocking a participant in a case involving him. They could not ignore that, it would have been way too obvious.

They also wanted to get rid of me, that became obvious later, when their private mailing list was hacked. I made them *very* uncomfortable, I was *not one of them* -- they are all administrators, and, while I almost was made an admin on Wikipedia, I was quite new then. Later, it would have been completely impossible, by that time the "cabal" knew what I was up to and they can easily torpedo any candidacy that they don't like. It's part of the problem with Wikipedia process.

But I didn't consider my own right to edit to be important. I was far more concerned about a biased admin who would cheerfully block people because they disagreed with him. This is an irony here. That administrator was a climate scientist, and was famous as abusive. People had complained about him for years, but every attempt to sanction him was blocked by the cabal. A discussion would start, they would pour in with enough comments rejecting the complaint that the discussion would show "no consensus," and they would then claim vindication. Nope. Any sane judgment would have shown there was a serious problem.

Adminstrators had resiged in disgust over what this guy had done. I fixed it, with an edit trolling to be blocked, took a couple of minutes. It was probably the most efficient thing I ever did on Wikipedia. And eventually I handled a lot of situations, but, eventually, the Wikipedia problem was not ultimately addressed, and what had long been expected came to pass, I was "community banned." That's what they do when the Arbitration Committee won't do it. All it takes is a handful of editors showing up on an obscure page, mostly not watched by the general community, and it's done.

Theoretically, you can appeal to the Arbitration Committee, but the politics are such that the Arbitration Committee will bail. It will reject the case, refusing to "second guess" the Community. Really, more than half of the Committee is sympathetic to the abusive administrators, but they can't let that be seen. It would look bad!

I am willing to sacrifice my participation here, which I find useful especially for my Carbon Nanotube research, for the greater good of more signal and less noise in this forum. If you ask me, Lomax and the other chronic off-topic posters are the real trolls cause they insist on doing it their way or ban those who disagree or don't like their off-topic trolling like me. Their solution is a "gang" solution. Do it our way or we will insult you or better still, we will ban you. It's fortunate that Bill appears to be more reasonable and more objective than these gang of bullies.

Actually, what it looks like is Bill is paying no attention.

If Bill changes the rules, I will follow. But in the meantime, people should follow his rules and not "make it up as we go" - as famously said by one chronic off-topic poster here.

Jojo

So, what are the rules? I don't know if they have been changed, but below is what I was sent. There *are* rules that could easily be applied to this situation. Some of the rules were obviously written long ago, because behind some of the rules are conditions that used to apply, that hardly ever apply any more. "Off-topic" isn't a rule, per se. What is there related to that is

3. Small email files please.  The limit is set to 40K right now, those
   exceeding the limit will be forwarded to Bill Beaty.  If you wish to
   start extremely off-topic discussions, please feel free to exchange
   initial messages on vortex-L, but MOVE THE DISCUSSION TO PRIVATE MAIL
   IMMEDIATELY.  Some members are on limited service, or have to pay for
   received email.  Diagrams and graphics can be mailed to me and posted
   on a webpages for temporary viewing.

In other words, "starting extremely off-topic discussions" is specifically allowed, but the instruction is to "move these to private email immediately." That does not resolve a certain problem, where a poster has posted something to the list which is broadly offensive. It assumes what is really a private discussion that merely starts here.

I'm not "discussing" with Jojo, not any more. I responding to his egregiously offensive claims here that attack all Muslims and what they believe, that attack the President of the United States, that attack almost the entire community of climate scientists, and that personally attack and deliberately insult anyone who dares to disagree with him, including many long-term participants on this list, such as Jed Rothwell.

He's acknowledged it, even today. This is what he does. He escalates.

I have *not* started these off-topic threads, generally. Only very recently, I started *this thread* and the like, to address the problem of massive trolling. That's been made necessary by administrative neglect. Bill is obviously busy elsewhere. I highly recommend that he delegate some of the list responsibilities, he could overrule a moderator decision if necessary. Frankly, I hope he's okay.

The rule that is really more on-point is NO SNEERING. And that rule has been *routinely* violated by Jojo. He'll claim the same about me, I'm sure, but he also claims that about many here. He perceives sneering at the drop of a phrase. And his response is to sneer back, escalated, drastically. And Jojo sneers spontaneously, with no apparent trigger to justify "sneering back."

The rules:

                         WELCOME TO VORTEX-L

WARNING: AT LEAST READ THE RULES!
  1. $10/yr donation
  2. NO SNEERING
  3. KEEP MESSAGES UNDER 40K
  4. DON'T QUOTE ENTIRE MESSAGES NEEDLESSLY
  5. DON'T CC OTHER LIST SERVERS
  6. NO SPAMMERS

The Vortex-L list was originally created for discussions of professional
research into fluid vortex/cavitation devices which exhibit anomalous
energy effects (ie: the inventions of Schaeffer, Huffman, Griggs, and
Potapov among others.)  Skeptics beware, the topics also wander to any
anomalous physics such as "Cold Fusion," reports of excess energy in "free
energy" devices, chemical transmutation, gravity generation and detection,
and all sorts of supposedly crackpot claims.  Please see the rules below.
This is a public, lightly-moderated list.  Interested parties are welcome
to subscribe.  PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE SUBSCRIBING.  There is no
charge, but donations towards expenses are accepted (see rules below for
suggested donation.)

Admin addr: vortex-l-requ...@eskimo.com

Mail addr:  vortex-L@eskimo.com

Webpage:    http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/weird/wvort.html

Moderator:  bi...@eskimo.com
            William J. Beaty
            7540 20th Ave NW
            Seattle, WA 98117
            206-788-0775 USA

  Put the single word "subscribe" in the subject line of the header.  No
  quotes around "subscribe," of course.  You will get an automatic
  greeting message in response.  Once subscribed, send your email to
  vortex-L@eskimo.com.

Unsubscribe:

  with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

Vortex-L digest mode:

  If you prefer "digest" mode messages, collections of messages up to
  40K total or every 2 days, then subscribe to the vortex-digest
  instead of to vortex-L.  Send a blank message to:
      vortex-digest-requ...@eskimo.com
  Put the single word "subscribe" in the subject line of the header.
  Vortex-L forwards each received message within minutes or hours of
  receipt.  Vortex-digest collects messages, then sends them as single
large chunks. Vortex-L and Vortex-digest are two separate lists. It is
  possible to subscribe to one or the other, or both.

Help:
  To obtain a copy of this file, send a blank email with the word
  "help" in the subject line.  Send it to vortex-l-requ...@eskimo.com

Address Changes:

  If your email address changes, you can email bi...@eskimo.com to fix
  things.  Or, you can simply send a "subscribe" command while using
  your new account.  When your old account is turned off, the vortex-L
  bounce detector will unsubscribe it.  If you still have access to
  the older account address, you can unsubscribe yourself using
  that address.

  This will happen if your email address starts bouncing all vortex-L
  email for several days.  This is done in order to stop possible
  email-loops, and to prevent the eskimo.com software from being
  overwhelmed by email-bounce warning messages.

  When the Unsubscriber takes you off, it sends you a message explaining
  its action.  Unfortunately this message will usually bounce also.  From
  your viewpoint the message traffic from Vortex-L will suddenly cease.

  If the email server on your internet service has a habit of overloading
or crashing for several days at at time, you will probably encounter the
  Unsubscriber.  If vortex-L traffic seems to suddenly stop, or if your
  messages to the group are returned with warnings that you are not
  subscribed, simply resubscribe to Vortex-L.  Missed messages are
  available as textfiles on the Vortex-L webpage, or go to the archive
  service at http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l%40eskimo.com/

Vortex-L Rules:

  1. $10/yr donation
  2. NO SNEERING
  3. KEEP MESSAGES UNDER 40K
  4. DON'T QUOTE ENTIRE MESSAGES NEEDLESSLY
  5. DON'T CC OTHER LIST SERVERS
  6. NO SPAMMING

1. If VORTEX-L proves very useful or interesting to you, please consider
   making a $10US/yr donation to help cover operating expenses.  If you
   cannot afford this, please feel free to participate anyway.  If you
   would like to give more, please do!  Direct your check to the
   moderator, address above.  Any help you can give is sincerely
   appreciated.

2. NO SNEERING.   Ridicule, derision, scoffing, and ad-hominem is
   banned. "Pathological Skepticism" is banned (see
   http://amasci.com/pathsk2.txt)  The tone here should be one of
legitimate disagreement and respectful debate. Vortex-L is a big nasty
   nest of 'true believers' (hopefully having some tendency to avoid
   self-deception,) and skeptics may as well leave in disgust.  But if
   your mind is open and you wish to test "crazy" claims rather than
   ridiculing them or explaining them away, hop on  board!
   MORE AT http://amasci.com/weird/vmore.txt  (please read.)

3. Small email files please.  The limit is set to 40K right now, those
   exceeding the limit will be forwarded to Bill Beaty.  If you wish to
   start extremely off-topic discussions, please feel free to exchange
   initial messages on vortex-L, but MOVE THE DISCUSSION TO PRIVATE MAIL
   IMMEDIATELY.  Some members are on limited service, or have to pay for
   received email.  Diagrams and graphics can be mailed to me and posted
   on a webpages for temporary viewing.

4. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: when you reply to a message DON'T include the
   ENTIRE message in your reply.  Always edit it a bit and delete
something. The more you delete, the less traffic overload. The entire
   message should really only be included if: (A) you are replying to a
   message that is many days old, or (B) you are doing a point-by-point
   reply to many parts of a message.  Many vortex users must pay by the
   kilobyte for receiving message traffic, and large amounts of redundant
   messages are irritating and expensive.  So, when including a quoted
   message in your reply, ALWAYS DELETE SOMETHING, the more the better.

5. Please do not include any other email list in the TO line or the CC
   line of your messages to vortex-L.  In the past this has caused
   thread leakage between different lists and redundant messages as
replies from subscribers go to both lists. It's OK to manually forward
   mail from other lists to vortex-L, as long as the TO line and CC line
   has only vortex-L and no other list.

6. Our forum is not your self-promotion channel.  While not illegal
   yet, widecasting of junk-email ads to listservers is against the
Unwritten Rules of the Internet. Anyone who spams vortex-L with junkmail
   will be referred to the Internet Vigilante Justice team.  ;)
Occasional on-topic advertizing by long-time vortex-L users is acceptable.

   - Bill B.