I'm pretty sure you wrote a lot worth responding to, to correct it, but I did not read your tiresome lengthy essays. Please learn to split you arguement into smaller readable segments.

Jojo

----- Original Message ----- From: "Abd ul-Rahman Lomax" <a...@lomaxdesign.com>
To: <vortex-l@eskimo.com>; <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Digital information storage in DNA

At 04:20 AM 12/27/2012, Jojo Jaro wrote:
The views expressed by Lomax below are typical of those who have not read Darwin's book or understand what Darwinian Evolution really says.

I have not read "Darwin's book," nor do I give a fig about "Darwinian Evolution." I care a bit more about the mechanisms through which life was created on this planet, and especially how life is maintained and develops.

It is typicial, again, of so-called Creationists, that they posit this bugaboo, Darwinian Evolution, and then attempt to poke it full of holes. Darwin wrote a lot time ago. And science is not about individuals, and the progress of science is about *informed consensus.*

We are not interested in Fleischmannite Fusion. What Fleischmann thought about his work is *irrelevant.* He was dead wrong about certain things, but he was also a scientist. He admitted his errors, when he had the chance. That's what distinguishes scientists from ideologues.

Natural Selection is not the process of DNA building, it is the macro result of mutations.

Well, that's not accurate. Natural Selection is a product of the interaction between genetic trait and survival. Mutation creates diversity in genetic traits, and natural selection creates preferential survival for certain traits, varying with conditions.

DNA building is not relevant, actually, except as DNA is "built" through cells that replicate it, and that make copying errors.

That selection is "natural" is a bit of a tautology. The implication, though, is a distinction between selection that is somehow programmed toward a result, and selection that simply occurs.

Mutations are the mechanism Darwin claims to be behind changes.

No, mutations *are* changes. And, again, I don't care what Darwin claimed. I'm not a "Darwinian."

As to the development of life, it is no longer controversial that species differ in genetic code, and, indeed, that we all differ from each other, each inheriting a specific and unique code. All humans are almost identical, but not quite. By "change," here, Jojo must mean "speciation." And it's obvious that species have different genetic code. What Jojo is claiming I suspect, is that one species never changes into another through mutation. However, he's not actually proposing a different mechanism for speciation. Perhaps he will claim that there is no speciation. The mother of a squirrel was always a squirrel, the mother of a hummingbird was always a hummingbird.

The changes result in a survival advantage, hence Natural Selection occurs. Hence the process is in fact a random process.

Mutation is not necessarily a random process. (The level of mutation is *controlled*, generally. Different organisms have varying degrees of protectin of copying accuracy.) However, let's grant that. However, what was said was not that mutation was not a random process, but that natural selection is not a random process, and the context was a claim that "natural selection" cannot "originate information."

That's obviously bogus. Natural selection isn't mere mutation, which might be a kind of random input, but rather is the product of mutation and survival. The result, the genetic code as it shifts through time in a population, is "information" about something very obvious: what survived to reproduce, not just once, but many times.

It is important for us to understand that Natural Selection does not occur at the cellular or DNA level.

Oh, it does. There are many copying errors that will kill the cell, promptly. But perhaps Jojo means something else here.

In other words, there is no Natural Selection mechanism to determine at the cellular/DNA level what random mutation is to be retained.

That is generally correct, given the exception that I noted.

That mutation has to cause a change in the macro organism that would confer a survival advantage before Natural Selection can be invoked.

There is no trait "confers survival advantage." "Natural selection" is a term for an overall process, a very gross summary of what happens, it is not an actual mechanism. Yes, an unexpressed change, one that has no effect on the "macro organism," will have very little effect on survival. Survival is the actual mechanism that filters mutations, but the filtering may be quite slow. The exception I know of: there is a lot of junk DNA, DNA that apparently does not code for any expressed protein or messenger. If there was too much of that, the inefficiency would start to bog down the process of copying, and copying is essential to growth and repair and operation of the cells.

You can have many many many mutations or changes at the cellular level but only when changes confer a survival advantage does that mutation get retained. Retention of changes occur at the individual to offspring level - a macro level, not at the cellular/DNA level.

This is completely false. All mutations that don't kill the organism are retained, the human copying machinery is designed to maintain the integrity of copies, and the machinery generally doesn't know the difference between what is new (mutation) and what is old (what was before). If the mutation is in the gamete, it will be in the offspring. Mutations are not created in the individual, per se, but in the individual cells that become offspring, as mutations. There is another mechanism, recombination, where already-existing genes are recombined, through sexual reproduction -- or, in primitive organisms, other means of gene-sharing. Essentially, a mutation is normally *not* something found in the parent, but only in the offspring. The offspring will have the mutated genome as their entire genome, for every cell.

Perhaps what Jojo means is that a mutation, a change, will not increase in a population unless it confers a survival advantage. I think that's generally correct, but it won't go away, either. If there is no advantage or disadvantage, it will fluctuate randomly.

If there is no reproduction, there is no Natural Selection.

That's correct. The mechanism of selection is over what DNA survives to be reproduced.

If there is no "survival advantage", there is no Natural Selection.

That, again, is correct.

If you understand this, you will understand how utterly impropable Darwinian Evolution is.

Again, I'm not responsible for Darwinian evolution. I could guess at what Jojo is getting at here, though. It's a semantic trick.

If we have had infinite time, then yes Darwinian Evolution is possible, but we only have had 4 billion years since the creation of the Earth and 15 billion years since the creation of the Universe. Not enough time.

Because he says so. He is positing that speciation and evolution are only based on random events, the mutation rate. Through the argument he's given, he thinks that, then, the code that defines a species must arise though random change, and he's got in mind starting from nothing and ending up with, say, a hummingbird.

That's not how natural selection works. Natural selection is not targeted at a result. When we think of "creation," we think of a targeted, designed object, where all the process involved was designed to create it. That is definitely not the process of natural selection. Sometimes natural selection is called "survival of the fittest," which is an error. It's survival of the survivors. "Fittest" is simply another word for "surivors." There is no "fittest," except through some established competition that compares. Yes, that happens, and it's a driver, but ....

Natural selection does not set out to create the hummingbird. It doesn' set out to do *anything* except to do what comes naturally: birth, metabolism, existence, and death. We don't know how common life is, in the universe, but a simple definition of life could be "self-replicating pattern." That's not enough of a definition, but it will do for starters. Once there was a self-replicating molecule, a molecule that catalyzes it's own copying in the environment that existed, the rest, quite likely, would be history. Beause this molecule, given a billion years or so, would make a huge number of copies of itself, limited only by two things, the natural breakdown rate (where some ion or something breaks the replicating molecule) or mutation, copying error. We can expect with the earliest copying mechanism that it wouldn't be terribly accurate, so the population of molecules would have a lot of variety. But, sitting in the soup for a long time, a truly huge number of combinations would exist, and some of them would be able to ... eat. They would find useful sequences and either break them down or even incorporate them whole into their own little factory.

It looks likely to me, then, that a minimal seed of life would copy itself and evolve, very slowly at first, until mechanisms developed to speed it up. Speeding up the process would, again, enhance the survival of some of the copies. I think single-celled organisms appeared something like a billion years ago, on Earth. The step from the single molecule I describe to a single cell is huge. From a cell to us is probably less of a jump.

Fact? No. This is a fantasy. See, I wasn't there. Or, come to think of it, was I?

(Note, that I do not personally subscribe the the 4 billion Earth age nor to the 15 billion age of the Universe. I just mention it to highlight the utter fallacy of Darwinian Evolution.)

Fail. The argument is devoid of any quantitative sense. It's purely linguistic. It jumps across a false premise, to repeat:

only when changes confer a survival advantage does that mutation get retained

That, if true, would require that "survival advantage mutations" be complete before they would survive. No, lots of copies of mutations are exposed to survival, and the ones that survive, survive. There is no preference for "survival advantage," lots of mutations with no survival advantage at all survive, out DNA is full of the junk code. And then, sometimes, a new mutation turns some sequence into an active gene. And even then it may not make any significant difference.

Jojo did much better on this than he did on most of his arguments. He actually stayed coherent. But he's still got the nonscientist trait of utter certainty without adequate knowledge. That's because, I'll suspect, he's reasoning from conclusions. He thinks that evolution is "contrary to the Bible."

More likely, since life *does* evolve, that's not in controversy among biologists, he doesn't understand the Bible.

Theoretically, the Bible could be wrong, but I won't go there, it would be rude and unnecessary.

Jojo

PS. BTW, I did not start this thread lest Lomax and Jouni will claim that I am starting a trolling thread again.

Jojo does not normally start "trolling threads," as I recall. The usual thing is that he jumps in with trolling. Is that happening here? Well, the discussion is fairly likely to go awry, but I don't think it has done so yet. The general topic here is science, and this is more on topic as a discussion of science than many of late, which have diverged into political and religious polemic, with highly provocative statements being made.

Starting a "trolling thread," if that's done, is actually less harmful than an interjected trolling post in a non-trolling thread. Yes, Jojo did not start this thread, but he changed the topic to evolution. It was really about using DNA as a method of encoding large amounts of data. That change, in itself, I don't consider a big deal.

The history is below. The topic was DNA, as a literal molecule, it had nothing to do with evolution, as such. Jojo did not merely change the topic to evolution, he made it be about "Darwinian evolutionists." That's ideological, and he brought in "threats" and "bribery," all of which could make a subject other than a friendy dicussion. I'd not be saying this if not for Jojo's expectation that I'd mislead. No biggie.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Abd ul-Rahman Lomax" <a...@lomaxdesign.com>