Mark Gibbs <mgi...@gibbs.com> wrote:

So, your considered and thoughtful way to address what you see as someone's
> misunderstandings and to educate them is to be insulting and to attack the
> man while you address the argument?

Look, I am sorry, but your statements violate the scientific method at an
elementary level. I cannot think of a way to say that politely. When I say
"elementary" I mean it literally: elementary school and junior-high
introductory textbooks all say:

* Science is based on experiments. When replicated experiments conflict
with theory, theory must be revised.

* Most phenomena are first discovered by experiment and confirmed, and only
later explained by theory.

* It is NEVER necessary to explain something by theory before you accept
that it is real. Experiments prove it is real. Theory explains it. Those
are two different things.

This is *absolutely fundamental* to the scientific method. If we reject a
finding because we have no theory, or ignore it, or refuse to fund it,
scientific progress will come to halt.

You have failed to grasp this! Again and again, you have ignored these
fundamentals. You need to stop, read what the people at EPRI wrote, and
think carefully. Pay close attention to this! EPRI said *nothing* about
theory. Fleischmann, Pons and the others said nothing about theory. This is
not about theory. Theory does not enter into this discussion. This is
experimental science, not theory-based science. (There are theory-based
sciences, but this is not one of them.)

You cannot demand that an experimentalist propose a theory before you
accept his results. That is not his job. That is not how it is done.

When penicillin and other antibiotics were discovered, no one had any idea
how they worked. If we had followed your standard for cold fusion, we would
not have funded, developed, or used them until 30 years later when
biologists finally explained them. We would not have developed the airplane
until the mid-1920s when the first comprehensive theories explained wing
lift. The Wrights used pragmatic engineering models based on instrument
reading from their wind tunnel. They made no effort to develop a physics
theory, although they were first-rate physicists. They were engineers, not
fluid-dynamics physicists.

You cannot demand a practical device before you accept a scientific
observation. You can't demand practical devices when we are still trying to
control the reaction in the laboratory. That is like demanding a fully
cooked wild turkey dinner before we leave the house with the shotgun. We
have to find the bird and shoot it before we cook it!!! Why is that so hard
for you to grasp?

FIRST we do the research. THEN if we are skillful and lucky we will have
the technology. Research is expensive. You have to have dozens of
complicated machines, as you see in the photos here:

http://lenr-canr.org/wordpress/?page_id=187

You want to know how much research costs? Take the best estimate, multiply
by 3, multiply again by 6, and add in a fudge factor of 80%. You want to
know how long it will take? Longer. Just . . . longer. How hard it is? Much
harder than anything that most people do their whole lives. It is like
taking final exams in college level chemistry *every single day*. It is a
miracle that any scientist succeeds at this game. Do scientists make
mistakes? Yeah. As Stan Pons says, "if we are half right we are doing
great."

They have made good progress despite the difficulties. Give them the tools
and the money and they will probably succeed.

> If you want to promote understanding of LENR and be respected as a
> proponent you need to stop being emotional and ritualistically antagonistic.

If you want to be taken seriously you will try to understand the roles of
theory and observation, and the fact that an observation can be proved
without a theory. You need to read what the experts at EPRI wrote, and you
need to understand what they meant. Stop demanding a theory. Stop
re-inventing the rules of the scientific method.