On 2/01/2013 4:59 AM, Jojo Jaro wrote:
First, you came up with the opinion of a man and proceeded to demolish it. If this is not a clear example of a Strawman argument, I don't know what is. I won't even bother to rebute this argument as it is clearly fallacious. I said provide a statement FROM THE BIBLE, not some person.
This is not the opinion of one man, but was the strongly held opinion of the whole of Christendom from the least to the greatest, and a matter for which great scientists were threatened with torture and burnt at the stake. Within that discussion are many statements *from the Bible* that support a geocentric worldview. But like I said, this is one that we can likely agree on because the scientific evidence has now persuaded modern biblical scholars (yourself included) that they need to interpret those passages differently. I brought up this point to illustrate that Bible interpretation is an evolutionary process which we are in the middle of (and some of us are considerably more evolved than others!)
Second, you question the integrity of the Bible by saying that it claimed that the Earth is ~6000 years old. Please point to me where it says in the Bible that the Earth is 6000 years old. This age is a conjecture by scholars when they attempt to trace back the genealogy of people mentioned in the Bible. This figure is by no means an agreed figure.
This figure is "by no means an agreed figure" for the simple reason that it is no longer tenable (except by the most determined literalists), so of course scholars have to come up with a different interpretation than the obvious straightforward meaning of the text. The geocentrism argument has been considered lost by almost everyone except the gentleman I pointed to. The group you belong to has accepted that the 6000 year old earth is untenable but doesn't yet know what figure to retreat to. Whether Noah's flood was local or global seems to be an argument that your group has not yet considered very seriously.

I know a Christian denomination that holds the entire Bible in the highest regard, and yet happily teaches that all of Genesis before Abraham is not to be taken literally but rather has deeper spiritual meanings (much as Jesus' parables are not historical events but have spiritual meanings).

So you see that there is almost *no* point at which believers will be unable to change their interpretation in order to keep their Bible as without error. For myself I can't see why the book needs to have no errors. We don't demand it of any other book so why this one.
You also mentioned Noah's flood and you provided Ice core "evidence", sea shell "evidnece" etc. Show me the data for these?
I thought I did (see link preserved at end) - was the plotted data not data for some reason?
All you have provided are conclusions of people. This is by no means settled science. These are just conjectures and conclusions. Regarding your statement the all the ice is assumed to have melted in Noah's flood. Why would you assume that? What evidence do you have that that indeed happened. Other researchers say the opposite of what you are assuming. A global deluge would cool the Earth and form ice, not melt it.
Regardless of what happened (cooling or melting), one would expect a glitch or discontinuity in the climate data don't you think?

If all the ice didn't melt then since it floats, there should have been plenty of "dry land" for arctic animals and Eskimos to survive on?
Come on, this is your best scientific evidence? You can do better and it does not help that you cop out immediately by saying that I will not look at your evidence.
But I did point to the plotted data from the Vostok ice cores and the bethnic foram and either you didn't even look at it, or you wrote off a vast amount of very carefully and expensively obtained data as "conjectures and conclusions". I think a global flood advocate should be able to explain how such long unbroken and agreeing data sets are compatible with a global catastrophe. Where is the glitch or discontinuity in the data record which marks Noah's flood? Or what is the massive error made by the two independent groups of scientists that have allowed them to get their x-axis wrong by two orders of magnitude?

I did not say that you would not look at the evidence, I said that it was pointless - as almost any scenario can be accepted by biblical inerrantists by simply changing interpretation - with the exception of internal contradictions.
Regarding you claims of contradictions, please elaborate. What contradictions?
The first is probably too difficult to draw out fully here as it requires looking at the Hebrew characters to work out how the differences occurred.

The second is more straightforward (who wrote on Moses' second set of tablets): Exod 34:1 And Yahweh said to Moses: "You yourself chisel out two stone tablets like the first that *I* might write upon the tablets the words that were upon the first tablets that you shattered." Exod 34:27-28 'And Yahweh said to Moses: "*You yourself* write these words for upon the command of these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel." And he was there with Yahweh for forty days and forty nights, he neither ate bread nor drank water but wrote upon the tablets the covenant words' Deut 10:4 And he {Yahweh} wrote upon the tablets like the first writing (the ten words that Yahweh spoke to you on the mountain from the midst of the fire on the day of the assembly) and Yahweh gave them to me.

The third (where did Aaron die):
Aaron died atop the Mountain of Hor according to Num 33:38 (which is the 35th stop in the Numbers itinerary). Aaron died at a place called Moserah (the singular form of Moseroth) according to Deut 10:6 (which is the 28th stop in the Numbers itinerary - see Num 33:30-31).

But I have no intention of continuing this discussion on this forum.