I simply referred him to:

The DoE committment to very large fusion concepts (the giant magnetic
tokamak) ensures only the need for very large budgets; and that is what the
program has been about for the past 15 years - a defense-of-budget program
- not a fusion-achievement program. As one of three people who created this
program in the early 1970's (when I was an Asst. Dir. of the AEC's
Controlled Thermonuclear Reaction Division) I know this to be true...

http://www.oocities.org/jim_bowery/BussardsLetter.html

and pointed out that Bussard's termination of all government fusion
programs, substituting prize awards for significant milestones, was a fair
compromise with reality which is ultimately beyond the grasp of both
believers and disbelievers alike.