Recently I have been simulating the time domain response of the Celani
replication cells that are being tested by the MFMP and am getting excellent
results.  My purpose is to detect any excess power that may emanate from the
cells as the temperature sweeps upwards due to power increases.  I suspect that
the time domain behavior will be dramatically different if additional power is
effectively added to the drive as a result of excess power generation.

My hypothesis is yet to be confirmed and I felt like it was time to reveal my
process for others to share the fun and help with the large amount of data that
is coming available.  I hope to publish several posts as time permits that will
allow other interested parties to duplicate my system and perhaps find answers
to a few questions that remain.

For this particular description I am using Excel, in others I have used LTSpice
and the results agree to a reasonable level of confidence.  I also, generated a
simple numerical integration procedure which also matched the others.  Three
different techniques that demonstrate very similar results must be good for
something.  And, they fall closely to the calibration data on the MFMP site.

The technique to be described is the solution to a non linear differential
equation of the following form: dx/(a*x^2+b*x+c)=dt .  The closed form solution
to this equation is in the form of an exponential series similar to this:
x(t)=k1 + k2*(e^(w*t+c1) + (e^(w*t+c1))^2 + (e^(w*t+c1))^3 +.....).  This mess
can be simplified to an equation of this sort:  x(t)=k3 +
k4*(e^(w*t+c1))/(1-e^(w*t+c1)) which is how I enter the information into my
Excel chart.

Notice that there are two pieces to the solution, one is a constant and the
second one is the transient behavior.  The constant is that actual final value
that the temperature reaches if a very long time is applied to the system
allowing the transient portion to approach zero.  The second part fades away
with time, and as a result will follow a certain path that can be carefully
matched to the real world revealing any excess heating.

I should mention that I have been forced to add a short lived transient to the
equation solution to counter the initial edge delay which does not appear
normally with the exponential expression.  On some of my testing, I have just
waited out the time required for this transient to pass so that I do not have
to include it.  The time constant is typically 30 to 40 seconds, but depends
upon the cell design.  It would be a good exercise for others to speculate as
to what causes this delay.  My current thoughts are that it is the time
required for a pulse of heat added to the cell to mix within the gas and
finally impact the outside glass.

To replicate my file, you need to find values for the constants of the
equation: P(T)=a*T^2+b*T+c.  Where P(T) is power as a function of the Outside
Glass Temperature(T) of the cell.  These coefficients can be easily determined
by analyzing a calibration run for the cell of interest.  I obtain the data
from the live feed of the MFMP site averaged over a 30 second window.  They
usually start with a step of very nearly 0 watts and the associated temperature
at the outer glass wall and then step the input power upwards until they reach
about 103 watts.  This procedure yields several steps and thus pairs of values
that can then be placed into a X-Y chart.  I take my readings generally from
the second to last constant input power point proceeding a power step upwards.

I like to use the individual point plot for the X-Y plot so that it is clear
where the trend line intercepts these for an indication of a good curve match.
Open the chart modification box with the trend line options showing and select
polynomial of second order.  Choose to show the equation on your chart as well
as the R^2 value for confirmation.  I edit the trend line label so that my
numbers are displayed with 6 or more decimal places.

The values you desire are shown associated with the quadratic equation
displayed on the chart.  I call these a,b, and c which are modified by the next
process that will be given on a following post.

If there are questions please do not hesitate to post them as I will do my best
to answer.

Once you apply this technique, you will be amazed at the closeness with which
the theory follows the real world results.  On many tests, I find it difficult
to detect an indication of the underlying transient curve that is many times
greater than the noise surrounding the ideal response.

Dave