This installment of my simulation explanation will likely be the last unless
something of general interest arises.  The earlier posts described what the
variables were and how to obtain them from the downloaded data from the MFMP
site.  The data from that source is used to directly calculate the a,b, and c
coefficients as well as obtain a starting point estimate for the Pin variable.
I have intentionally chosen a set of transformed curve axis such that the
original 'c' coefficient is zeroed out.  When this condition exists, the
modified constant coefficient term of the final quadratic expression reduces to
just c'= Pin/Cap.

A review of the various variables show that there are related to either the
static power output versus temperature equation or the time domain portion.
Please note that I tend to use the terms Pin and Pout interchangeably since the
calibration is expected to be performed without excess heat being generated by
the device so they would be equal under that condition.

Static variables are a, b, c, Kint, and Pin.  All five of these terms are
derived from static calibration measurements of the downloaded data.  If you
review the installments below you will see how these terms are obtained.  Pin
is self evident since that is the input power applied to the device.   The a,b,
and c were generated by a graph trend line second order fit relating the
temperature of the outer glass test point to the power input.  I have chosen to
make the temperature the X variable and the power input as the Y variable.  The
Kint is determined by the initial temperature and associated power from which
the step emerges.  For instance, if you begin with an input power of 10 watts
and proceed to 30 watts, the Kint value is adjusted to match the beginning
simulation temperature associated with the 10 watt power level.

The other two variables, Cap and TC, are related to the time varying behavior
of the simulation.  The value of Cap is directly related to the energy storage
mechanism of the cell.  If you know the temperature rise required to store a
certain number of joules of energy, then you can calculate the equivalent Cap.
This value also is the one that I use when I simulate the behavior with a spice
program.  The TC variable is used to represent the delay that occurs between
the calculated exponentially rising curve that represents the solution to the
differential equation and the monitor point chosen to sample that variable.
When an input step of power is applied to the cell, there is essentially no
delay before the internal energy of the cell begins to rise.  For this reason
the calculated simulation curve begins to immediately rise in synchronization
to the power step.  But, the temperature at the outer glass monitor takes time
to respond to this drive.  Also, there is quantization error in the time steps
that are included within the downloaded data.  It is not unusual to see these
steps 8 seconds or more apart.  This throws an extra unknown that needs to be
compensated for in order to get excellent temperature tracking.  Note that I
transform the time axis so that time equals zero when the power step is applied.

There is much more information that could be written about the operation of the
program, but this will have to suffice for now.

The optimization of the variables is a key operation to perform when using my
simulation tool.  You should note that I am performing an LMS curve fit to get
the best match of program run to input data.  I calculate the 'sum of the
differences squared' for this operation.  The actual number and location in
time of the sum terms can be adjusted depending upon where you are most
interesting in the matching of the data.  Most of the time the input data is
limited to a thousand points or less and I use all of the available pairs for
the optimization.  On occasion, I am interested in the initial rising edge of
the transient response, particularly if it appears as though excess power is
being generated that increased with time.  I ask the program to fit the
starting edge and then observe how quickly the excess power is increasing or
decreasing with time.

For the present argument let's assume that we have data to fit which is well
behaved with time.  I typically enter the Pin variable to the step final level.
 It is generally possible to estimate the Kint to generate a curve that begins
somewhat near the actual value demonstrated by the measured data.  If I feel
like playing around a bit, I just optimize the Kint with Excel solver so that
the initial temperature calculated by my program matches the downloaded data.
This works very well provided that you also have entered the Pin before the
optimization begins.  After this step is completed, a curve could be displayed
that is reasonably close to the actual physical run.  But, we want to know more
accurately what the actual power input really is (here I refer to Pin plus
Pexcess) as well as to obtain a close fit for the displayed curve and the real
world.

The data solver in Excel does a remarkable job of adjusting the variables so
that the calculated curve matches the downloaded one.  I just optimize the LMS
value toward 0 by allowing solver to vary the Pin, Kint, Cap, and TC.  It plugs
away for a few seconds and then tells me it can not find a perfect match.
Generally the match is quite good however so I accept the values that solver
finds and the task is completed.  A plot of the error function demonstrates how
closely the delayed function matches the real life values and it typically
looks flat with the exception of noise that is riding upon the input data.  I
include a simple one pole RC equivalent filter to smooth the displayed data.
The RC can be adjusted to either increase or decrease the smoothing and I
generally place the variable below a graph that displays both filtered and raw
error signals.  I like to plot a second graph which shows the raw temperature
data, calculated curve, and the delayed curve versus time.  In this manner, it
is possible to review how well the program generated fit matches the real life
data.   If for some reason something looks strange in the output, you have a
display that helps debug the operation.  It is seldom necessary for me to need
to debug the curve fitting, but it is comforting to know that the file
performed as required.

When the optimization is completed, you will see that the Pin variable has been
modified from what you initially entered.  A stable calibrated run generally
yields a final value that is within a few tenths of a watt from the downloaded
data provided the calibration run is accurate and good values determined for a,
b, and c.  This operation can actually be used to verify that you in fact do
have accurate values for the parameters and is thus valuable.  If you know that
there is no excess power being generated due to the set up, then I would expect
an accurate match to Pin.  One of the beauties of this technique is that in the
future, if the calibration drifts, the program will clearly show that fact.
The Pin will not match up to what is known to be used in that case.

Once the program is calibrated and matches a calibration step accurately, then
you are ready to measure excess power.  Just enter the latest downloaded data
that might have excess power contained within and let the program do its
optimization as described above.  The Pin that the program estimates is then
modified by the additional power due to LENR and shows up as perturbation away
from the ideal curve fit at points in time that correspond to excess power or
absorbed power.  So, you can see variation in average Pin as the modification
to the actual Pin given with the data set, as well as see where the curves
divert from each other indicating heat that is produced.

Once you have performed several curve fits, you will become comfortable with
the best procedure and gain confidence in your usage of the program.  There is
no substitute for taking the time to learn by trying since supplying the best
description for the operation of my program is difficult at best.  Ask
questions either in private or in this list and I will answer in like fashion.

Dave