Dave,

The inner core is DENSER than iron or nickel so the geologists just made
stuff up.  Pretty whacky stuff...

 Because the inner core is denser (12.8 ~
13.1)g⁄cm³[11]<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_core#cite_note-11>
than
pure iron or nickel, even under heavy pressures, it is believed that the
core also contains enoughgold <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold>,
platinum <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum> and other siderophile
elements <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siderophile_element> that if
extracted and poured onto the Earth's surface it would cover the entire
Earth with a coating 0.45 m (1.5 feet)
deep.[12]<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_core#cite_note-12>