Ed, I am confused by your statement that cold fusion is a 2-body to 1 body
reaction.  I see two reaction components unless I am missing something.  One is
the alpha particle and the other appears in the form of mass released as energy
into the surrounding structure.

Every observer must see that the laws of physics apply to what he sees.  My
favorite point is to be located precisely between the two protons as they head
toward each other with exactly the same energy.  In this location an observer
sees that a finite amount of kinetic energy is measured for the two particles
and that there is exactly zero momentum for the equal velocity pair.  When they
collide together, there is no motion required for the resulting alpha particle
until it releases the excess energy.  When that energy is finally emitted in
some form, then a reaction force would result in relative motion of the alpha
particle.  In this manner, both conservation of energy as well as conservation
of momentum is shown.

In my experience, when these laws are seen by any one observer, then they are
true for all of the others.  Do you see a hole in this argument?  How are the
laws true for others but not for the one ideally located?

Dave