That is an interesting complication Axil.  There is no doubt that the electrons
can act as a screen of the electric field to an extent.  Once, I tried to get a
handle upon the magnitude of this effect from a simple mental model point of
view and a few things seemed to show up.   The COE and COM like to make it
difficult to visualize.  I placed an electron between two protons and realized
that as long as the electron was in the middle, there was no Coulomb barrier to
counter since the negative charge exerted a slightly larger pull than the
opposite positive charge repelled as the combination gets smaller.

This model leads to an interesting idea.  If the electron could be judiciously
placed precisely between the protons, there would be no net force acting upon
it.  If we then allow the protons to slowly come together, there would be no
net energy imparted upon the electron as the system shrinks.   Each proton
would actually be drawn towards the other one and a small amount of energy
would be imparted upon each.  This is due to the fact that the electron charge
is closer to the proton charge than is the other positive repelling charge.

This process could be continued until something gives.  A net amount of energy
is given to the protons as they head towards each other.  The electron is
merely kept in the center without expending any energy.
Now, if the electron squirts out of the line at right angles to the axis
between the protons, then it must be given energy equal to the amount of
Coulomb energy that it helped overcome as the protons came towards each other.
 This would be expected if the electron were to escape the vicinity.  The
protons would then possess the same amount of energy that they would have
obtained had they not had the electron to help.

If an electron could be coaxed into this behavior and remain between the proton
pair until the group merges, then fusion would be common.  Since this is not
true, one must assume that the electron diverts at some point.   Perhaps a
gamma ray comes along to set it free, but more likely, quantum mechanics
intervenes and the electron begins some form of orbital motion around one or
both protons.  Unless the orbit that it settles within allows for the release
of extremely high energy, then the protons are not close enough to fuse.  I
suspect that a process of this general nature might lower the net Coulomb
barrier to a degree, but I have no idea how much.

I began to think of a multiple electron case, but grew weary as my mind wasted
away.

Dave